Best program You’ve ever tried.

• This topic has 13 voices and 40 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

gary

If you can squat 2X BW then Smolov without a doubt. It is BRUTAL and is not for those who can not take dig deep. You look @ the #'a and think no way in hell but somehow you do it,or at least most of it.  Would work well with CBL. You squat 4x/week for first 3 weeks, 2 weeks switching phase (deload sort of), and the 3 weeks 3x/week. Not only is the volume high but the %'s are crazy. Your legs are like car jacks when after the second week You will have to eat A LOT an will add quality muscle. Here is an idea of the insanity of the program. My raw max is around 575 , for calculations based on 550lb max, recommended to take some off. Squat M/W/F/Saturday weight x sets x reps, 385x9x4, 415x7x5, 450x5x7, 470x10x3. Week 2 add 20lbs to each workout, e.g. 405x9x4, 490x10x3. Week 3 add 10 more lbs. The third phase (intense phase) you only squat 3 times a week but is equally as hard. If I had not done this program before I would say no way you are crazy. There will be some reps/sets missed but the majority of the workout gets done. For me I should get my raw squat back around 610 but others put on  60-100lbs in the 10 weeks.One downer is you can not deadlift during this. However, last time I did it my raw dead was 675 when I competed it I pulled 660 and was back to 675 in a couple weeks.Somepeople deads actually go upon Smolov.If you pull in the 400-600 range Coan/Phillipi is a great program to get you to the next level.  Based on a holistic approach to deadlifting. It will not only get you stronger but put slabs of beef on your back that will stay there. Almost as tough as Smolov. Another program that will work well with CBL. Be warned both are real ball busters. I am 50 and have been doing this 35+ years, most programs work with some effort, these two test your lifter integrity.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

@ ibob, don't you fee like your overtraining? With regards to shoulders, I've always felt that doing a workout sandwiched the day before or after chest/back/arm session overtrained me. Even though you're not aiming to work you shoulders during back day, any rowing motion will undoubtedly hit you rear delts. And following your shoulder day close grip bench/dips are going to hit you anterior delt. Not to mention any work as far as picking up dumbells or simply holding your arms in an static postion as you perform another lift. I would love to do a split like you have listed, I just know I can't do that many upper body days back to back to back because my shoulder will feel like hell. Do you feel like your still getting stronger?? Maybe CBL helps with recovery. Just curious to what you think...

I respond very well to high volume training, so no, I am not overtraining.  As far as my exercise choices, you certainly are correct in what you say, but I am simply choosing the exercises I best respond to.  My strength is up and I am putting on mass.I can't say this works for anyone but myself.  If you want to give this a shot, but are concerned about your shoulders, I would cut out the pressing movements on the shoulder day.  I would also cut down the number of assistance moves each day.  It's funny you say this because honestly my shoulders are never sore.

Nicholas E bucci
    Participant

Cutting out the pressing movements makes sense. I wasn't being critical, just curious. I tore my rotator cuff back in college, then messed up it up again a few years later with crappy benching form. I'm always looking for a new concept I didn't think of that would let me do what you're doing here, because I like doing high volume as well. I assumed it was just because it worked well for you, and that there wasn't some magic trick to it, but thought it was worth a shot to ask.

gagrissinger

Smolov..... It is BRUTAL...... real ball busters.

Calling Smolov brutal is an understatement. I do not have balls but if I did they would have been busted. Squatting so frequently really improved my form and depth. My leg development was the real winner on Smolov. My hams had hams. Even if you just do the first 3 weeks you see success. On paper looks like over training. I didn't feel any of the effects of over training, quite the opposite. Two things. If your form isn't decent do not attempt the program. Good form gets better bad form puts you at risk of injury. Also if you are a lighter squatter do smaller jumps 2nd and 3rd weeks. I took it up 10lbs and 5lbs the second and third weeks. Percentage wise that would have been pretty equal to bigger squats.Smolov is not for the weak. This quote is from Dragon Door,  "Abandon hope all ye' who enter here." The inscription on the gates of hell in Dante's Inferno could be applied to the four-week base cycle without a shade of exaggeration. It is worth the effort.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Definately gonna have to give Smolov a shot.  Looks intense!

Chuck

Yea true, I will google and look into it.+1

BatCountry

to those who did best with 5X5. Was this when you had been weight training for a few years already or was it relatively early on in the beginning year of your lifting? I'm curious as i haven't found anything that puts on that kind of muscle as i did in the early months but then again i have never did 5×5. Many others but for some reason never thought much of it.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

to those who did best with 5X5. Was this when you had been weight training for a few years already or was it relatively early on in the beginning year of your lifting? I'm curious as i haven't found anything that puts on that kind of muscle as i did in the early months but then again i have never did 5x5. Many others but for some reason never thought much of it.

You are probably more seasoned then I am, but I have been seriously lifting weights for 3 years and 5x5 is still my favorite.  I just use 5x5 for the big lifts Bench, Military, Squat, Deadlift (or Bent Over Rows or Weighted Pullups), and Close Grip Bench.  All the smaller moves I just use 3 sets of 6-12 reps, with a few exceptions.

Richard Schmitt

Is the 5×5 pretty ideal towards CBL SA? Just curious about different programs. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Tomahawk

Calling Smolov brutal is an understatement. I do not have balls but if I did they would have been busted. Squatting so frequently really improved my form and depth. My leg development was the real winner on Smolov. My hams had hams. Even if you just do the first 3 weeks you see success. On paper looks like over training. I didn't feel any of the effects of over training, quite the opposite. Two things. If your form isn't decent do not attempt the program. Good form gets better bad form puts you at risk of injury. Also if you are a lighter squatter do smaller jumps 2nd and 3rd weeks. I took it up 10lbs and 5lbs the second and third weeks. Percentage wise that would have been pretty equal to bigger squats.Smolov is not for the weak. This quote is from Dragon Door,  "Abandon hope all ye' who enter here." The inscription on the gates of hell in Dante's Inferno could be applied to the four-week base cycle without a shade of exaggeration. It is worth the effort.

I can see Smolov making life a living hell. Just sounds like torture for your legs. I think if I ever truly want to bring my squat up(like I need to) than I will do this by myself. Dont think I could convince too many other people to venture into hell with me.

I can see Smolov making life a living hell. Just sounds like torture for your legs. I think if I ever truly want to bring my squat up(like I need to) than I will do this by myself. Dont think I could convince too many other people to venture into hell with me.

Yeah, it's gonna be hell.I'm thinking about starting in in July once I get done with all the traveling I have planned.I feel like I should invest in a wheelchair prior to starting though, haha.

Tomahawk

Yeah, it's gonna be hell.I'm thinking about starting in in July once I get done with all the traveling I have planned.I feel like I should invest in a wheelchair prior to starting though, haha.

Haha ya I might bring a guest and a wheel chair. The person's sole purpose will be to wheel me around haha.Plus I go to a typical fitness center. Pretty sure I would get some looks for squatting everyday. Although to be honest I HATE their squat rack. Not practical in any way.

gary

Two things. If your form isn't decent do not attempt the program. Good form gets better bad form puts you at risk of injury. Also if you are a lighter squatter do smaller jumps 2nd and 3rd weeks. I took it up 10lbs and 5lbs the second and third weeks. Percentage wise that would have been pretty equal to bigger squats.Smolov is not for the weak. This quote is from Dragon Door,  "Abandon hope all ye' who enter here." The inscription on the gates of hell in Dante's Inferno could be applied to the four-week base cycle without a shade of exaggeration. It is worth the effort.

Somebody paid attention in class. YES, good form is a must, which excludes about 90% of people. Great point about the increases. A 20lb increase for a 300lb squatter would be much more dramatic then for a 600lb squatter. Not only are you a sexy beast you are very intuitive.....Do you have a sister?Correct, it is not for the weak. Although testicles were mentioned it is gender neutral. I think across the board women's work ethic in the gym is superior to that of men. That work ethic makes this am ideal program for the female that loves the squat rack and isn't afraid of nice looking muscle. Good luck

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Two things. If your form isn't decent do not attempt the program. Good form gets better bad form puts you at risk of injury. Also if you are a lighter squatter do smaller jumps 2nd and 3rd weeks. I took it up 10lbs and 5lbs the second and third weeks. Percentage wise that would have been pretty equal to bigger squats.Smolov is not for the weak. This quote is from Dragon Door,  "Abandon hope all ye' who enter here." The inscription on the gates of hell in Dante's Inferno could be applied to the four-week base cycle without a shade of exaggeration. It is worth the effort.

Somebody paid attention in class. YES, good form is a must, which excludes about 90% of people. Great point about the increases. A 20lb increase for a 300lb squatter would be much more dramatic then for a 600lb squatter. Not only are you a sexy beast you are very intuitive.....Do you have a sister?Correct, it is not for the weak. Although testicles were mentioned it is gender neutral. I think across the board women's work ethic in the gym is superior to that of men. That work ethic makes this am ideal program for the female that loves the squat rack and isn't afraid of nice looking muscle. Good luck

I prefer high bar squats because I like to squat really deep.  Is this still appropriate?  Or is it only for low-bar squats?

gary

Smolov brothers developed program for Russian Olympic lifters, high bar squatters. All squats should be taken to depth regardless of style. When Carrie mentioned proper form depth is a key component. It is not for everyone, as a matter of fact probably for most it would be too tough, but for those who endure the rewards are worth the suffering.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best program You’ve ever tried.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?