CarbNite doubts

• This topic has 26 voices and 98 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Fairy

That podcast really confused me

missmarce

That podcast really confused me

I'm the Marci he was referring to in the episode...it confused me too! I came away more confused then before I asked my question, and was left feeling everything Ive been doing the past 4 months was wrong. But now Im a little more clear. Females need to run the program differently. If you want to CBL and lose fat in the process, you must train with higher volume and add HIIT to the end of your sessions to wipe out glycogen. Ive been trying to gain weight for my wedding, hoping that my muscles would look a little fuller...basically I want to look like Ive just prepped for a bikini/figure show, which is why I was backloading 4x per week. Kiefer still recommended carb nite in this case! I had it all wrong. If I do want to backload, I need to do the HIIT before or after training and keep my backloads small in order to achieve this look. What was confusing for you?

Fairy

Thanks for the clarification Marci. I'm on CNS, and the bit I was really confused about is where he says females can have carb nights 2-3 times a week. Basically, I just want to lose fat as fast as possible; and I enjoy exercising. So I'm just trying to figure out how often I should do a CN as a female

kelleil

My grl friend last week put weight on by only having 2 meals a day cutting back. Told her it was working just fine on 3 meals with more food. She started eating 3 meals again the very next day and every day since has lost weight. Eat enough is the key I think. Don't starve. More calories equaled more weight loss in her case. She seen good results and thought well if I cut back more I will lose it quicker. WRONG!

I'm not losing weight on CarbNite and its bumming me out.I need a minimum of 1400 for basal metabolism. I'm usually doing 1600. And I don't fee like I'm starving.(Macronutrient breakdown: 65% fat, 10% carbs, 25% protein)

Damon Amato
    Participant

10% carbs @ 1600 calories = 160 calories = 40g carbs = too many carbs.

Fairy

Don't worry about your calories. Just eat 1:1 protein:fat 2-3 times a day until you're satisfied. 1,600 calories is crazy. Your body will try to retain fat if it feels like it's starving.

Richard Schmitt

Don't worry about your calories. Just eat 1:1 protein:fat 2-3 times a day until you're satisfied. 1,600 calories is crazy. Your body will try to retain fat if it feels like it's starving.

+1Satisfaction is the key here along with trying to hit your macros. 1g of protein per body weight matched with the same amount of fat. Or ideal body weight.

kelleil

I'm only 5'2 with a desk job!So far today in carbs: 3 grams.

cookieb
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Marci. I'm on CNS, and the bit I was really confused about is where he says females can have carb nights 2-3 times a week. Basically, I just want to lose fat as fast as possible; and I enjoy exercising. So I'm just trying to figure out how often I should do a CN as a female

Hey Fairy, when kiefer was talking about the 2-3 carb nites, he stated to have your ONE carb nite on the same day every week (every 7 days), then to randomly (but not every week) throw in one or two more. Alex and Kiefer said that's what made it easy for Alex's bride client to plan her wedding. She could schedule an additional carb nite during specific wedding events (like the cake tasting), and because she knew it was going to be happening, would just plan her workouts around that. I found both parts of those 2 episodes really enlightening! Those carb nites were not as heavy as the "stationary" carb nite. They were simply to accommodate her planning. As far as the cardio, he recommended more for women, and after training (but in a post on FB, he stated men should do it before). Specifically, he said because women's bodies do not want to let go of that glycogen acquired during the carb nite. He advised me that if I was going to be doing HIIT prior to training, to allow at least 30 minutes between the two, adding that my plan of HIIT-Yoga-Heavy RT was a win. (however, I dropped that plan in favor of RT followed by HIIT on the days I had time, in addition to the two days after carb nite where I strictly do his recommended HIIT on the cycle) 2 weeks in, and can tell a difference from the way I was doing it before. Also, as an avid hardcore sprinter, the bike is really humbling (must be my short legs).I now do hiit on the bike for the two days after carb nite, and have 2 sprint sessions following my upper body training days. The hardest part for me, is eating enough food. Not because of capacity (bottomless pit here), more because of money - this is getting really expensive!!!!!

Fairy

@CookieThanks for the great summary!! I spend lots of money on food. Even when I'm broke, I buy the most expensive meat I can. This is how I think of it: This food is going to make my cells and is going to be *part* of my body for the next 7-10 years. Also, eating cheap meat just grosses me out. I feel much much better eating the organic grass fed meat. As lots of people here have pointed out, plain old white rice is a perfect CN staple, so no need for too much expensive junk food.

Dykstraml

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback. I've stayed off the scale, but still can't really see results. I feel like I finally got over the malaise of going ulc, and I'm having better workouts. I also have been really stressed since starting this. Both external and from the stress of not losing any weight or seeing results. I was having really bad heart palpitations for a while, but they've gone away since I started taking a multivitamin with magnesium everyday. I think my sodium levels were really screwed up.I'm going on vacation next week for a week, and am not planning on sticking to anything. Maybe short sighted, but don't get alot of vacations and would rather not stress. I guess I'll go through reorientation when I get back and see what happens between now and the holidays?

cookieb
    Participant

Checking in again…It's been just over a week since I was complaining about STARVING eating 2200 cals a day or so. Carbs are way under 30 - under 20 even, with less than half of them usable. Per the suggestions, I added more food, still keeping fat and protein even in grams (fat has actually been a bit higher than protein). There have been lifting days where cals. came in as high as 3100! But on lighter days (like today was conditioning/short hiit sesh), calories came in at about 2500. I am shocked right now that I am not starving, because that has just been the trend. Anyway, I feel a heck of a lot fatter than say last Wed. Yesterday I wore jeans I wore last Friday, and managed to have some minor muffin top - something I haven't had since maybe Feb/March. Couple things to note: Sunday was carb nite, was also my sister's wedding. I was able to bring some stuff with me and ended the day at about 300 grams - that was all I could do being gluten intolerant. (and keeping looking decent in the pictures in mind also haha)At the wedding, I ate a TON of cheese - cheese is my absolute weakness, but since running the detox diet about 5-6 weeks ago, I prettymuch gave it up, except for 2 times over the past two weeks where I had it with eggs. I feel like I ate the equivalent of a block on the wedding day Tuesday - I quit smoking cigarettes - GO ME! but scary stuff, and I'm pretty sure I won't be stepping on a scale anytime soon over it.Tuesday - Also, time of the month. Lucky me.I pretty much only eat: Coconut oil, HWC, Kerrygold butter, 80/20 ground beef, bacon & bacon grease, steak cooked in butter, cage free eggs, occasional pork,Occasional ground sausage/or links - both well investigated :), coffee,  small amounts of either lettuce, spinach, or peppers and onions. A couple times over the past two weeks, I have also snacked on pork skins and gluten/carb free lunch meat (both times were emergency starving situations and not near my kitchen)Gaining...Is it because of calories? I can't ever really recall that awesome girl time of the month having SUCH a bloating effect (even my face looks weirdly bloated - althoughthat's starting to subside today) Is it because I quit Smoking??? Really? Would hope if so, that it levels out and I can get back to feeling awesome about myself. So, anyway...32 yo female, last weighed in at 141, 5'4, and going by 2 weeks ago or so, 19% bf. Lost over 110 lbs doing keto diets over about 6-7 yearshelp please? Been sticking to Carb Nite & sometimes CBL for a LONG time now...Glad to be in size 4's having once been in 18's, but wish they were baggy lol

Em

Great thread! I've been doing CNS for 3 and a half weeks now and, aside from the huge first week whoosh of 6lbs, I've not lost anything. Looking at the info on this thread I'm guessing that my problem is not eating enough, specifically not eating enough protein. I hope that's it anyway, it's a little disheartening.  :-[

Fairy

@CookieOh, dear. That muffin top doesn't sound like a good sign! I hope it goes away soon. @Em6 lbs sounds like it was just water weight so you may not have lost fat yet. Anyway, I still think clothing is a much better indicator than the scales. The thing I don't understand is how you can *not* lose fat on CNS? Your body has no choice but to burn fat all night long most nights, plus for 3 hrs every morning.

randyleahy

I am far from an authority on training females (they perplex me lol), but just let me throw this out there. Maybe you shouldnt look to manipulate protein or fat, maybe it should be carbs. Are you guys getting flat during the week? I am flat as a pancake the day before a carbnite, then have a good day, look like shit for a few days, look good again and then get flat. Thats usually how carbrefeeding works. Maybe you guys are not getting enough of a metabolic spark?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CarbNite doubts

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?