Heavy Duty questions

• This topic has 6 voices and 47 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Jack O'Neill

Hi all,I follow Shockwave protocol successfully with CNS for the moment.I prepare my future workouts for CBL (heavy duty version).Here are my questions:NEG: why is it written 10+3 for example? What I understand is that I do 3 sets of 10 reps and for the last set, I do the 3 last reps (11, 12 and 13rd) in negatives.What about leg curls exercice in Kiefer's pdf? 2 sets in PSR (no pbms) and then, 10+3 in NEG. What does it mean?NEG(2): I've no partner. I workout in home gym. Is this possible to slow down moves during the NEG phase? (for ex. 1s/6s for the bench)ELECT: case of back squat in Kiefer's pdfI know what is ELECT for doing it in Shockwave protocol. But how must I understand the sets for back squats?2x10 reps in standard, no pbms10+1 in ELECT. What does it mean?Thanks a lot

Richard Schmitt

Hi all,I follow Shockwave protocol successfully with CNS for the moment.I prepare my future workouts for CBL (heavy duty version).Here are my questions:NEG: why is it written 10+3 for example? What I understand is that I do 3 sets of 10 reps and for the last set, I do the 3 last reps (11, 12 and 13rd) in negatives.What about leg curls exercice in Kiefer's pdf? 2 sets in PSR (no pbms) and then, 10+3 in NEG. What does it mean?NEG(2): I've no partner. I workout in home gym. Is this possible to slow down moves during the NEG phase? (for ex. 1s/6s for the bench)ELECT: case of back squat in Kiefer's pdfI know what is ELECT for doing it in Shockwave protocol. But how must I understand the sets for back squats?2x10 reps in standard, no pbms10+1 in ELECT. What does it mean?Thanks a lot

1) You would do the 10 reps normally and the +3 is the negatives.2) Look at answer above.3) I would do a forced Super Slow Repitition. That's what I have to do with Negatives.4) I'll have to find the legend he had but maybe it's a Negative?

Jack O'Neill

It would be logical to do negatives after a back squat. ELECT movment doesn't seem justified.Thanks for quick answers BigTex, I will do superslow reps instead of negatives.Must I decrease weights for superslow reps?

Richard Schmitt

If you need to decrease weight in order to properly do the movement then yes it would be a good idea.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

It would be logical to do negatives after a back squat. ELECT movment doesn't seem justified. Just me, but I view the ELECT 10+1 the same way as the NEG prescription: After 2 STD 10-rep sets, another set of 10 STD reps followed (without missing a beat/no rest) by 1 ELECT rep.  And while I can't speak to whether or not it may be 'justified' (chalk the verbiage up to language differences), it is not as if this style of repetition is unprecedented, after all, ALL your Back Squat reps in Shockwave 1.4 are done ELECT... Additionally, I've NEVER seen anyone prescribe pure negatives on a Back Squat - what do you do with the bar once you get down in the hole?  Even if you have spotters, there's NO WAY this is safe - quite the contrary - VERY DANGEROUS - here it would be justified to say 'it is not justified'.  Now, even though I know you don't plan to do any real pure negatives - it seems you are trying to imagine that is what Kiefer MEANT to prescribe and ELECT is included in error.  Just my take on it.Thanks for quick answers BigTex, I will do superslow reps instead of negatives.Must I decrease weights for superslow reps?

Jack O'Neill

Yes I thought it was an error concerning ELECT in the last rep.Anyway I didn't want to do a NEG but just à very slow rep (6s).Thanks and sorry for my English (and this f... iPhone autocorrection 🙂 )

Marty P Koch
    Participant

No need for apologies, just wanted to clarify.Again, not to beat a dead horse, but I must reiterate, I don't think it is an error, and that you SHOULD perform that last rep ELECT-style, and SHOULD NOT perform as a NEGATIVE (or even super-slow).  There will be no compromise in safety, no delay in performing the rep as you will not have to adjust weight, and you have already 'perfected' your form for the ELECT during ShockWave 1.4.Good luck!

Jack O'Neill

I understand what you said and I will so do an ELECT movement for the last rep.It's just that I found strange to only do just ONE ELECT rep but ok.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

Yeah, it may seem wierd, but I think the single rep prescription is due to the accumulated fatigue after several heavy sets of 10 preceding the ELECT rep, themselves preceded by the sets of (heavy) front squats.  The CNS is getting fried by the squatting movements by now and probably only needs this last 'kick' to push it to the max results zone.

Caino
    Participant

Any room for deadlifts in this? I was thinking replacing one of the squats with some deads, anyone had any luck adding them in?

TokyoLifter

Any room for deadlifts in this? I was thinking replacing one of the squats with some deads, anyone had any luck adding them in?

Well there is already stiff legged DL on leg day and romanian DL on core day. I would exchange one of those with DL, preferably on core day.

Caino
    Participant

I was going to incorporate core day after 2 of the workouts as a finisher, maybe not as intense and that way im only 4x per week

TokyoLifter

I was going to incorporate core day after 2 of the workouts as a finisher, maybe not as intense and that way im only 4x per week

Then I would not do the DL on core day, but do DL on the back day, and maybe do the core day then.

Caino
    Participant

I like your style tokyo! Thanks man! For some reason i picture you as a really jacked bald japanese looking guy am i correct? Lol

TokyoLifter

I like your style tokyo! Thanks man! For some reason i picture you as a really jacked bald japanese looking guy am i correct? Lol

Haha, thanks. But neither bald nor Japanese, just living here.  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Heavy Duty questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?