I am up 7lbs, mostly fat.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

My other suggestion is not to give up…. this diet takes some figuring out for some. I originally was eating more than I should during ULC period and too much on my CN's 2 years ago. I was losing body fat but very very slow.  I would look up a keto calculator which can help you depending on your activity levels.

Hey Mac, I am 5'7″ and currently at 200#. My ideal weight is between 145 and 150 with a lot less fat and more lean tissue. I hovered around 145 during my late 20's into my late 30's, early 40's. For the new macro: Being 200#, 100 grams of fat per day seems high for me to lose body fat, but I will give that a try. So 100 max fat grams and 200 protein grams it is.Not giving up yet! Too much great info thanks to all the fine folks in here.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

From what I understand, protein grams should reflect your target weight, not your current weight. And even less if you're not training. "Protein is what should be watched. If not training, then 100 gm is upper limit."From BJJ Caveman's notes of Kiefer podcasts: http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/06/08/carb-nite-carb-back-loading-tips-part-2/

Robert x Oleary
    Participant

Seems like overkill on the protein, and underwhelming on the fat… I'm not terribly versed with CNS, but maybe someone else can speak to the ratio here..

GonnaBeGiant

That is true… BUT what trevor said… You don't want to drop calories to low off the bat. The OP will lose weight by not overeating during the ULC days and keeping the CN not a all out binge. The point is to diet on as much food as possible and the OP would not be doing that if he set calories to LBM or desired weight goals.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Calories should be made up with fat though, not protein.From CNS (page 38):"Eating high levels of protein without enough fat or carbohydrates actually accelerates the rate of muscle loss."Also from BJJ Caveman's notes (same link as above):"Ideal macro starting point for larger body fat individuals like 40% body fat – Start off 2 gm of fat per gm of protein."And from the Same BJJ Caveman page:"The larger you are, the greater caloric deficit you can endure while preserving muscle mass."

Calories should be made up with fat though, not protein.Also from BJJ Caveman's notes (same link as above):"Ideal macro starting point for larger body fat individuals like 40% body fat – Start off 2 gm of fat per gm of protein."

Now I am confused. If I use current weight of 200# for a .5/1 ratio that equals 100 grams fat and 200 protein grams. If I use the BJJ Caveman info, that would increase my daily fat to 400 grams.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

IMO, you should be closer to 100g protein and 200g fat.

Penny Danner
    Participant

And I disagree based on what I've learned here and what is working….try both ways for a few weeks and see what works but higher protein grams are working for me.

Just to confirm on the macro ratios, the first number is the fat and the second is the protein? ie  .5 to 1

Melvin McLain
    Participant

And I disagree based on what I've learned here and what is working….try both ways for a few weeks and see what works but higher protein grams are working for me.

And how many days a week do you train? Dan doesn't train at all.100g protein and 200g fat is straight from Kiefer's recommendations (via BJJ CM's notes).

Penny Danner
    Participant

Like I said Dan, try it both ways and see what works.  My suggestion is 1g protein .5 fat or a little higher.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Calories should be made up with fat though, not protein.Also from BJJ Caveman's notes (same link as above):"Ideal macro starting point for larger body fat individuals like 40% body fat – Start off 2 gm of fat per gm of protein."

Now I am confused. If I use current weight of 200# for a .5/1 ratio that equals 100 grams fat and 200 protein grams. If I use the BJJ Caveman info, that would increase my daily fat to 400 grams.

No, he's not saying eat 200 grams of protein and 400 grams of fat.  He's saying instead of 100 fat and 200 protein, it should be more like 100 grams of protein and 200 grams of fat. 

Richard Schmitt

Like I said Dan, try it both ways and see what works.  My suggestion is 1g protein .5 fat or a little higher.

+1..

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Once again (although somewhat bewildered)… ???"Protein is what should be watched. If not training, then 100 gm is upper limit.""Ideal macro starting point for larger body fat individuals like 40% body fat – Start off 2 gm of fat per gm of protein."From BJJ Caveman's notes on Kiefer podcasts (Posted June 8, 2014): http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/06/08/carb-nite-carb-back-loading-tips-part-2/I don't understand why you guys disagree so adamantly with these guidelines when they specifically target Dan's situation.Similar figures (1.5g fat per 1g protein) are working well for me, and I do a few minutes of HIT per week. My recently calculated proteins/fats/calories run about 116g/174g/2k on ULC days (sometimes a bit more, but not much), and I'm a good bit larger than Dan. "Kiefer wants to take down athlete.io forums because there is too much bro science there. Not enough evidenced based info."From http://bjjcaveman.com/2014/12/08/carb-nite-and-carb-back-loading-tips-part-5/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

I am up 7lbs, mostly fat.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?