Jay Robb whey isolate is pretty f–king good.

• This topic has 3 voices and 22 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Marty P Koch
    Participant

So... looking at the back of my Collagen Sport Whey Isolate by NeoCell Sport...Per 45g scoop (told you it was big... about 15g bigger than most scoopers):123 cals.5g fat2.25g carbs (not useable... from fiber)0g sugar30g proteinFull of protective vitamins and anti-oxidants1,000mg L-Glutamine4.5g of BCAAs (doesn't specify amounts, but I'd imagine it being 2:1:1 in favor of Leucine like most whey)It's all natural and stevia-sweetened.Cory

Yeah, I think what Cr Powerlinate was looking for was something more like this (TN's Isolate CFM):Amino Acid ProfilePer 100 grams Alanine 5.2 Arginine 1.8 AsparticAcid 10.1 Cystine 2.1 GlutamicAcid 13.8 Glycine 1.7 Histidine 1.1 Isoleucine 6 Leucine 9 Lysine 7.8 Methionine 1.8 Phenylalanine 2.2 Proline 5.6 Serine 4.2 Threonine 6.8 Tryptophan 0.8 Tyrosine 2.2 Valine 5.4 That collagen 'protein' is mighty nasty stuff, derived from the boiled-off cartilage from the bones left over after the beef is processed out.  The amino profile isn't good, plus I don't think what profile there is has good bioavailability.  It is/used to be the main protein constituent in most protein bars.  Not sure anymore as I haven't had a bar in several years once I found this out, as well as the bloating, stomach discomfort from all the sugar alcohols.Not to mention Cr Powerlinate's math on the % protein per scoop (oversized as it is) really tells the tale and makes it not much of a bargain after all.Finally, TN's proteins are customizable and I use them religiously to make my CNS and now CBL formulations exactly to Kiefer's specifications.  They will also soon get the full customization tool up again so that you can custom mix and flavor all the 'extras', e.g., creatine, stand-alone aminos (leucine, etc.), different carbs (waxy maize, dextrose, brown rice carb, etc.) as well.  It was the main attraction but recent FDA regs has these warehouses closing down this option temporarily until they can get GMP certified.

So... looking at the back of my Collagen Sport Whey Isolate by NeoCell Sport...Per 45g scoop (told you it was big... about 15g bigger than most scoopers):123 cals.5g fat2.25g carbs (not useable... from fiber)0g sugar30g proteinFull of protective vitamins and anti-oxidants1,000mg L-Glutamine4.5g of BCAAs (doesn't specify amounts, but I'd imagine it being 2:1:1 in favor of Leucine like most whey)It's all natural and stevia-sweetened.Cory

Yeah, I think what Cr Powerlinate was looking for was something more like this (TN's Isolate CFM):Amino Acid ProfilePer 100 grams Alanine 5.2 Arginine 1.8 AsparticAcid 10.1 Cystine 2.1 GlutamicAcid 13.8 Glycine 1.7 Histidine 1.1 Isoleucine 6 Leucine 9 Lysine 7.8 Methionine 1.8 Phenylalanine 2.2 Proline 5.6 Serine 4.2 Threonine 6.8 Tryptophan 0.8 Tyrosine 2.2 Valine 5.4 That collagen 'protein' is mighty nasty stuff, derived from the boiled-off cartilage from the bones left over after the beef is processed out.  The amino profile isn't good, plus I don't think what profile there is has good bioavailability.  It is/used to be the main protein constituent in most protein bars.  Not sure anymore as I haven't had a bar in several years once I found this out, as well as the bloating, stomach discomfort from all the sugar alcohols.Not to mention Cr Powerlinate's math on the % protein per scoop (oversized as it is) really tells the tale and makes it not much of a bargain after all.Finally, TN's proteins are customizable and I use them religiously to make my CNS and now CBL formulations exactly to Kiefer's specifications.  They will also soon get the full customization tool up again so that you can custom mix and flavor all the 'extras', e.g., creatine, stand-alone aminos (leucine, etc.), different carbs (waxy maize, dextrose, brown rice carb, etc.) as well.  It was the main attraction but recent FDA regs has these warehouses closing down this option temporarily until they can get GMP certified.

The protein itself is whey isolate, the protein itself is not derived from collagen.I couldn't locate the amino breakdown on the container.Cory

The protein itself is whey isolate, the protein itself is not derived from collagen.I couldn't locate the amino breakdown on the container.Cory

According to the label of the product, 50% is Super Collagen protein - hence our confusion. The description doesn't match what the label says.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

I think that the amino breakdown is, while not being hidden per se, purposely not revealed.  If it was something fantastic, they would probably be showing it everwhere they could. If the representation of the label is correct on the Swanson Vitamins webpage, I have to respectfully disagree with the assertion that 'the protein itself is whey isolate'.  In this copy & paste from the label shown on that webpage, it clearly shows the protein is a 50-50 blend of isolate and collagen (albeit 'super'):                                            Amount per serving            %Daily ValueProtein                                                  30 g                            60%   Whey Protein Isolate                      15 g †   Super Collagen™ 1&3 Protein    15 g † Not trying to be overly argumentative, just want to make sure we are not fooled by an inferior product.  There are far too many charlatans performing sleight of hand in the supplement industry that we should try to identify the 'bad guys' (even the 'not-so-good' guys) and stay the heck away.Hope this helps show the 'true colors' of this stuff.  I apologize if the information from the website has led me to an incorrect conclusion.  Additionally, new data may have come about to indicate that collagen-derived protein is better than was originally thought, but I think that the pure whey isolate is what we are after, anyway.

I think that the amino breakdown is, while not being hidden per se, purposely not revealed.  If it was something fantastic, they would probably be showing it everwhere they could. If the representation of the label is correct on the Swanson Vitamins webpage, I have to respectfully disagree with the assertion that 'the protein itself is whey isolate'.  In this copy & paste from the label shown on that webpage, it clearly shows the protein is a 50-50 blend of isolate and collagen (albeit 'super'):                                            Amount per serving            %Daily ValueProtein                                                  30 g                            60%   Whey Protein Isolate                      15 g †   Super Collagen™ 1&3 Protein    15 g † Not trying to be overly argumentative, just want to make sure we are not fooled by an inferior product.  There are far too many charlatans performing sleight of hand in the supplement industry that we should try to identify the 'bad guys' (even the 'not-so-good' guys) and stay the heck away.Hope this helps show the 'true colors' of this stuff.  I apologize if the information from the website has led me to an incorrect conclusion.  Additionally, new data may have come about to indicate that collagen-derived protein is better than was originally thought, but I think that the pure whey isolate is what we are after, anyway.

Exactly. My concern is, not being able to locate the amino acid profile, we can't figure out what this Super Collagen protein exactly is. If we saw a high amount of glycine, proline and hydroxyproline - say, 25% of the total - we'd know it was simply collagen/hydrolyzed collagen.

bioengineer

My TN brand stuff came this week – the chocolate coconut isolate (2x flavoring) tastes 5/10 and the birthday cake casein is 6/10. Overall, it's the same old same old. The creapture mixes quite well actually…..do u guys find the TN proteins kinda meh?

Marty P Koch
    Participant

You first have to understand that with the bulk products, you are not getting the same thing as if you were buying mass-produced big-name stuff.  This protein is more 'pure', if you will with no xanthan gums, soy lecithin, etc.  Just protein and the flavoring system and the sucralose or stevia or whatever sweetener.  Now look at the list of ingredients on ON, Dymatize or any other mega-brand.  That's not to say these are bad products, just more processed and 'fillerized'.  Not to mention far more expensive.I actually happen to love the chocolate coconut, strawberries & cream, mocha java.  There is always a trade-off in life.  Is a sugar-free, gluten-free dessert just as delicious as a store-bought, fully-loaded pastry?  No.  Is the first going to do its job and satisfy some cravings and probably be a hell of a lot better for you in the long run?  Ye... well, we all have to decide for ourselves.Yes, there is a difference, but as negligible of one given the upside at the end of the day if you ask me.

You first have to understand that with the bulk products, you are not getting the same thing as if you were buying mass-produced big-name stuff. This protein is more 'pure', if you will with no xanthan gums, soy lecithin, etc.  Just protein and the flavoring system and the sucralose or stevia or whatever sweetener.  Now look at the list of ingredients on ON, Dymatize or any other mega-brand.  That's not to say these are bad products, just more processed and 'fillerized'.  Not to mention far more expensive.

Bingo. As I've said previously, compare the net grams of protein per serving and look at the cost per gram of protein when looking at protein brands. There's always a trade-off somewhere.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jay Robb whey isolate is pretty f–king good.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?