Jim Wendler’s 3 month Challenge

• This topic has 22 voices and 53 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Naomi Most

If you're going to do this Wendler challenge (which I've just now finished reading), and you want to see it have its full effect, you should be doing Density Bulking.  If you do it right, you should see nothing but muscle gain, and your bodyfat percentage will go down even if you don't lose fat, just by virtue of having more lean mass.If you do this on SA, I'd be very surprised if the program lived up to its promises.

I started doing the 3 month challenge at the start of the week for a bit of a change. but i also dropped from DB to SA as i want to drop some body fat for holiday. Would i be best rethinking this approach?

*shrug* Do what feels right to you.  If you don't have any particular strength goals -- i.e. your appearance goals are more important -- then do SA and do the challenge, just don't expect to get as strong as you would if you were doing DB.*Most* people who workout don't have any concrete strength goals, and that's totally okay.  Follow a good program and you will definitely get stronger, just not as strong as the guy who's priority #1 it is to be super strong.  🙂

Chris

If you're going to do this Wendler challenge (which I've just now finished reading), and you want to see it have its full effect, you should be doing Density Bulking.  If you do it right, you should see nothing but muscle gain, and your bodyfat percentage will go down even if you don't lose fat, just by virtue of having more lean mass.If you do this on SA, I'd be very surprised if the program lived up to its promises.

I started doing the 3 month challenge at the start of the week for a bit of a change. but i also dropped from DB to SA as i want to drop some body fat for holiday. Would i be best rethinking this approach?

*shrug* Do what feels right to you.  If you don't have any particular strength goals -- i.e. your appearance goals are more important -- then do SA and do the challenge, just don't expect to get as strong as you would if you were doing DB.*Most* people who workout don't have any concrete strength goals, and that's totally okay.  Follow a good program and you will definitely get stronger, just not as strong as the guy who's priority #1 it is to be super strong.  🙂

ThanksMy aim has aways been just to get stronger but holiday of a life time coming up for me so i am gonig to aim for cutting up.

trw1982

Hi,Any thoughts on doing DB on the three training weeks and then a carbnite week and extra conditioning on the week four deload to re-orientate the body to keep the diet on track and potentially cut some fat?Could this work ok do you think?CheersTom

Stephen Davis
    Participant

You will find quite a few members who do exactly that.  I am trying it for the first time this week, so I will have first hand knowledge quite soon as to how it affects my body. 

IOWA.PharmD

I'm on my second week of 5/3/1 (loving it) and plan to do CNS my deload week.

CaseyD

^ Same. I've tried 5/3/1 in the past, but had major program ADD and a terrible diet (just didn't know any better). Both issues have now been corrected and I freakin love the 3 month challenge so far. Very excited to see what happens after month 3.

taijeronv

Been doing the BBB-3MC for over a month, into my third cycle.  Prior to that I was doing his fullbody workout the one he wrote about at T-Nation.I have yet to purchase the CBL manual which by the sound of it is a pretty good investment.  I did purchase Carb-Nite but I'm not sure how it fits with Jim's 531 program.  I see that some people do it during their deload week.My current job is somewhat physical.  I work as a police mentor in Afghanistan which means I go out on regular foot patrols with the US Army.  Would be interested to hear any advice on whether or not CBL or Carb-Nite would be something worth doing given my current job.  I'm 47 and as fit as the twentysomethings I patrol with.  Best thing about my job is that I automatically do what Jim recommends in regards to conditioning which is walk, better yet walk with a weighted vest, which is exactly what I do while on patrol.Any help would be appreciated.TJ

Damon Amato
    Participant

Anything Jim Wendler does would probably be tough on CNS.  CBL would definitely be more effective.  I guess it depends on availability of certain foods.  I can't imagine you have great access to a whole foods in Afghanistan.

Kiefer
    Participant

Err... that's not quite right.SA is optimized for fat loss while still making some strength and size gains.Density Bulking is optimized for strength/size gains while allowing you to keep your same leanness (or possibly lose some fat).The difference in DB is the addition of strategic mini-meals and more peri-workout nutrition. These additions help feed muscle, but also cut off fat-burning potential.

Er...this is not quite right either. SA is designed for maximum strength gains without focusing on hypertrophy. You might get bigger but you will get stronger (this is the program I've put every powerlifter on who's dropped a weight class or two and been stronger at the lighter weight).If you guys really want to know about strength, check out Josh Bryant at joshstrength.com. He's the guy the strongest lifters in the world go to when they need training advice to get stronger. Just a suggestion.

devilmanVISA

If you guys really want to know about strength, check out Josh Bryant at joshstrength.com. He's the guy the strongest lifters in the world go to when they need training advice to get stronger. Just a suggestion.

Not sure I can agree with you on this one Kiefer. The actual statement itself is completely true, but I feel that the results from these collaborations are a bit lacking. But rather than drag Josh through the mud on a public forum where he's not here to defend himself, I'll keep the remainder of my comments to myself.

zewski

Hmm, I actually bought his power/bodybuilding book from elitefts.com sometime last year. However, I dismissed it when it was filled with routines that the “pros” (read: steroid users) used. I'm gonna have to re-read it, and be less judgmental.

sircow1

I am starting month 2 of the 3 month challenge and it has been brutal.Squating heavy followed by volume deadlift has led me to almost throwing up in the gym.  Awesome!

Kiefer
    Participant

Not sure I can agree with you on this one Kiefer. The actual statement itself is completely true, but I feel that the results from these collaborations are a bit lacking. But rather than drag Josh through the mud on a public forum where he's not here to defend himself, I'll keep the remainder of my comments to myself.

I can only speak for how well he worked with Brian Carroll, who praised Josh and his methods very highly after working with him.But I have never had the chance to work with him personally. Should have put that as disclaimer.

Kiefer
    Participant

This thread almost makes we want to put up a Wendler Challenge: 3 months of a Strength Shockwave vs. Wendler's 5/3/1–just for curiosity's sake. Wendler's program is descended from a long line of tradition. Shockwave is a new approach via research.I wonder...would there be any takers?

Kevin rogers
    Participant

Hand raised

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Jim Wendler’s 3 month Challenge

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?