Kiefer’s 30 second HIIT

• This topic has 17 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Changing your levels of interval work vs rest time would have to do primarily with which metabolic substrate you want to tap into, and what you're training to do.  If you want the body burning off entirely muscle glycogen (or at least predominately, at no time does the body stop burning carbs and fat at the same time, but the ratios skew heavily depending on the intensity and the length of time) then you would perform shorter sprints at maximum intensity (10-20sec where your body is ATP/PC dominant).  If you wanted to target more of a glycolytic response you would have to perform in the 20-45sec range of intervals.  Anything past 45+ seconds would start getting into pure anaerobic glycolysis and oxidative metabolism, which would start being too low intensity for intervals IMO.  So essentially, I believe Keifer is trying to tax out the anaerobic threshold with 60sec sprints to get right to the point of oxidative metabolism having to take over, releasing a large amount of pyruvate in the process; thus making the body more efficient at converting lactic acid to lactate to be used as fuel and increasing VO2.

After reading, the first thing outta my mouth was "damn..."

AdamFiddler

Would everything being said in this thread apply to something like kettlebell swings?  Or is it actually only applicable to sprinting?

monsieurjkb

Anything like biking/sprinting/rowing

CptSmash

It's just numerical values for the types of metabolic processes that are going on concurrently in your body at every second, every hour of every day.  It just depends how much and how fast and the percentage of what system is being utilized at one particular time.See this chart for reference:  http://www.villagefitstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/energy_systems1.gif Hopefully that explains things better, as far as which energy system has to provide the bulk of the ATP requirements at given time periods for  certain activities.

I run (not sprint) for 3 minutes, then slow-walk or 2 minutes.  I repeat this for 6 cycles, or 30 minutes total.For added variety and intensity, sometimes I will mix in jumps, leaps, shadow boxing, lateral bounding, etc. while I am running.I do one session of this a week on the morning after CN, while fasted.  Thus far, results (w/ diet and lifting) have been 1-2 lbs. of fat loss per week.Cory

rounds or time recomendation doin 30 secs to 2-4 min rest

kcarolhxw
    Participant

It's just numerical values for the types of metabolic processes that are going on concurrently in your body at every second, every hour of every day.  It just depends how much and how fast and the percentage of what system is being utilized at one particular time.See this chart for reference:  http://www.villagefitstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/energy_systems1.gif Hopefully that explains things better, as far as which energy system has to provide the bulk of the ATP requirements at given time periods for  certain activities.

That is a very helpful chart and I thought I would add this article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/atp-pc-energy/#axzz2DAhViSd2It breaks it down what gremlin mentioned earlier and is nice and easy to read. Here's the important things I think we need to know, if your goal is depleting muscle glycogen:

ATP-PC system is the path to instant, raw power, but it doesn’t last for long. It’s our first choice for immediate high energy, and we can tap into it for around 10-15 seconds of maximum output, almost like touching flame to gasoline.

After we’ve exhausted our ATP-PC, anaerobic glycolysis begins to kick in. Also called the glycolytic or lactic acid system, the anaerobic energy system breaks down some of our muscle glycogen to form more ATP.

The next level is aerobic energy production. This kicks in after about five minutes of output, supplementing the anaerobic pathway (but not fully replacing it until around half an hour of work).

I don't believe we want to enter aerobic energy production. I've heard Kiefer recommend a range of 30 sec sprints, 1 min sprints ("Fixing Thanksgiving Damage" Tubecast), and even 4 minutes sprints (Just Big Radio interview, time 29:12). The goal is to deplete glycogen stores and exploit the accelerated fat metabolism that occurs 24 hours afterward. Considering the article I referenced, which says you don't enter aerobic energy production until ~5 minutes of output, you can maintain anaerobic glycolysis up to that time. So, his time range recommendations of 0:30-4:00 minutes is a matter of how much you want to deplete those glycogen stores and exploit the accelerated fat burning.I'm trying to piece his material all together for my own use and this is the best I can think of, and I'm just going to run with it.

kcarolhxw
    Participant

Unless you're conditioning and training, I think his recommendations for 30 seconds or above is just to deplete as much glycogen as possible. That's why he'll recommend men sometimes to do 30 seconds but even up to 2 minute “sprints” for women (I think you just power through as much as possible and keep pushing…not necessarily 100%). At the 20 second mark I'm pretty beat too. But, I think as he mentioned in his creatine article, we have an initial ATP-PC system for raw power to help ramp us into anaerobic glycolysis, which transitions after 10-15 seconds. Around 20 seconds, there's a lot of hydrogen ion buildup from acid secretion that causes the burning effect. You can last in anaerobic glycolysis for a few minutes, I think up to 5. So the longer you push the more glycogen you break down.

Caino
    Participant

So i just bought a hr monitor, obviously hiit you want as close as 90-100% but what % does one let theor heart rate drop too before recommencing, thoughts?

Richard Schmitt

%? Not sure, I get mine around 130bpm, then try to get it above 170bpm

L J WALKER
    Participant

I run (not sprint) for 3 minutes, then slow-walk or 2 minutes.  I repeat this for 6 cycles, or 30 minutes total.For added variety and intensity, sometimes I will mix in jumps, leaps, shadow boxing, lateral bounding, etc. while I am running.I do one session of this a week on the morning after CN, while fasted.  Thus far, results (w/ diet and lifting) have been 1-2 lbs. of fat loss per week.Cory

Try this one....I read on simplyshredded.com about some different forms of HITT cardio. The one that got my attention was the car push.....yup, you heard right, the car push. Push for 30 sec and walk/rest for 1-3 min. Since I live in frigid Idaho, I modified it last night and used the spinning bike as my car. Warmed up for a couple of minutes, cranked up the leverage so your using the same force it would take to push an SUV (standing up trying to peddle hard), then rest for 1 min. After about 12 min of that, I was fried!!!! Damn bike never moved an inch tho!!

L J WALKER
    Participant

Try this one....I read on simplyshredded.com about some different forms of HITT cardio. The one that got my attention was the car push.....yup, you heard right, the car push. Push for 30 sec and walk/rest for 1-3 min. Since I live in frigid Idaho, I modified it last night and used the spinning bike as my car. Warmed up for a couple of minutes, cranked up the leverage so your using the same force it would take to push an SUV (standing up trying to peddle hard), then rest for 1 min. After about 12 min of that, I was fried!!!! Damn bike never moved an inch tho!!

Here's the link if you want to check out a few more varieties of HITT...http://www.simplyshredded.com/crank-it-up-6-hiit-cardio-workouts-to-help-shred-the-fat.html

Ethon
    Participant

Sprints less than 10sec are almost exclusively fueled by ATP decay. Sprints between 30 and 40 sec are optimal to burn glycogen, they are the most anaerobic. Longer sprints are getting more and more aerobic.So I guess it's best to sprint for 40 seconds to deplete glycogen stores and to do 10sec sprints if you want to do sprints with already depleted glycogen stores ... from my experience.

joe boulware

So I understand that the days after CN I do the 30 sec all out intervals and it is to use up my glycogen stores. That said what does this do for me? I will say last week the bloated feeling went away sooner in the week . Does this mean I will burn more fat in the next few days ? or start burning fat earlier in the 6  1/2 days leading up to  to CN?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Kiefer’s 30 second HIIT

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?