Medial Deltoids…bleh

• This topic has 9 voices and 54 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Craig jones
    Participant

I don't know if anyone has said this yet but train weak points first. e.g. For some reason Kia Greene thinks he has poor fore arms so he trains them before biceps.Hope it helpsCraig

I don't know if anyone has said this yet but train weak points first. e.g. For some reason Kia Greene thinks he has poor fore arms so he trains them before biceps.Hope it helpsCraig

+1My Brachialis and Brachioradialis are far from weak, but I wanted to exaggerate them... so I put Hammer Curls before other Bi exercises for a while, and did Reverse Curls on Back day, and sure enough... my Brachs blew the hell up.Solid advice, Craggy.Cory

Craig jones
    Participant

Cheers Cory, can't take the credit for that one. Arnolds body building encyclopaedia lolBut goes to show people have been using that technique for years. Keep it simple.

Cheers Cory, can't take the credit for that one. Arnolds body building encyclopaedia lolBut goes to show people have been using that technique for years. Keep it simple.

+1 for the mere mention of Arnold!  The fuckin' king!Cory

Craig jones
    Participant

LEGEND

Fairy

I heard you work your full shoulder much better when you use full range of motion with a single arm press (using dumbbells or kettle bells)

David Margittai
    Participant

I heard you work your full shoulder much better when you use full range of motion with a single arm press (using dumbbells or kettle bells)

I personally love using DBs for shoulder work. It's true that you can use a lot more weight with a bar, but I have always found that my shoulders respond significantly better to burning the crap out of them with lighter/moderate weight (much like the Meadows stuff posted earlier).

guitarjon
    Participant

I personally love using DBs for shoulder work. It's true that you can use a lot more weight with a bar, but I have always found that my shoulders respond significantly better to burning the crap out of them with lighter/moderate weight (much like the Meadows stuff posted earlier).

I like to change it up by switching between dumbells and a barbell regularly.  I can get get my shoulders burning pretty well either way, but I feel like I'm engaging my body more effectively with a standing barbell military press.  I like using the dumbells in a seated position for presses.  I'm very strict with form and I think shoulder exercises are some of the more difficult lifts to establish good form with. 

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I know Dorian Yates actually thinks that a limited range of movement on dumbell presses are better for shoulders.  His logic is that the top of the movement is mostly triceps so going through the full range of movement is a waste of effort.  He has a point, but I am personally advocate full range of movement as well.

Fairy

Yep, guess it depends on your aim. My primary aim is always health, secondary performance, tertiary aesthetics

You'll hit more stabilizers with DB's or KB's.  Frankly, I am a big fan of standing Military Presses in the Squat rack.  Full body involvement, heavy as hell.Cory

I know Dorian Yates actually thinks that a limited range of movement on dumbell presses are better for shoulders.  His logic is that the top of the movement is mostly triceps so going through the full range of movement is a waste of effort.  He has a point, but I am personally advocate full range of movement as well.

I am inclined to agree with anything Mr. Yates believes.  He is well researched, and a 6 time consecutive Mr. Olympia!  Not to mention, "Blood & Guts" is an incredible program... even for a natural lifter to run.  I ran B&G once, and put 1/2 inch on my upper arms in 4 weeks!  This was after a stretch of volume training... so it was a great shock program.That said, Dorian's injuries were also notorious.  His triceps were hanging by a thread in his final Mr. Olympia, but like a true warrior, he posed down anyway... and won!Jay Cutler is also a believer in truncated ROM, for the purposes of constant tension.  This is especially noticeable in his videos when he is practically pistoning on a Bench Press Machine... but only through the middle of the motion.  No lock out, no momentary rest.Cory

Fairy

How can your triceps hang by a thread . . . ? Were his tendons literally torn?

How can your triceps hang by a thread . . . ? Were his tendons literally torn?

Yates tore his left Triceps.  A full-blown tear, with his Triceps tendon torn 3/4 of the way off the bone.  It was described as "literally hanging off the bone".  He had been doing a Pullover & Press for his Triceps, when he "felt something go 'bang' in his left elbow."  He said the pain was more agonizing then when he had torn his biceps.He still competed, and won the Olympia, but the next day his upper arm had ballooned in size, and his Triceps were "distorted".  That was his last Olympia.  He did some soul-searching, and announced his retirement from competition.To this day, the aftermath of his accumulated injuries is so devestating, that he is limited in how he can train, what exercises he can do, and how heavy he can go.Cory

Fairy

Ouch. Do you think that was worth it?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Medial Deltoids…bleh

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?