My poor poor deadlift

• This topic has 7 voices and 39 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

AdamFiddler
    Keymaster

I'm having major problems getting a good grip on the weight, and this seems to be my main sticking point at the moment.  I find the bar literally slipping out of my hands at the top, and so I'm not sure if it's grip strength, technique or what.  I've been using the hook-grip and sometimes going to the double overhand.  I'm pretty bad off the floor but once it's up the lockout happens extremely fast for me (read: whenever I miss the bar doesn't even move).Farmer's walks?  Rack pulls?  Shut up and stick with it?  What's the prescription.  Also, to anybody who's kind enough to give advice, would you also include your deadlift numbers at the end of your post so I know exactly who I'm getting advice from?  (Best max/bodyweight)Thanks for your time and best of luck all.-Adam

Damon Amato
    Participant

Try an alternating grip, that'll be your strongest. Also, get some fat gripz to use on lighter weight.

AdamFiddler

Yeah I read a lot about the alternating grip and I know that some great powerlifters use it and it has a great pedigree.  I'm a bit concerned that as the weights get heavier my biceps might be in a bit of trouble using the alternate grip, as my arms are by far the weakest part of my body and it isn't even close.  I like the fat grips idea though, will give that a try.  -Adam

Damon Amato
    Participant

Rack pulls will be good from a central nervous system standpoint.

pshannon

I had this exact problem. Literally was pulling 290 with straps for 9 reps (mixed grip). I wasn't having any problem pulling or locking out, but my grip if I took the straps off was terrible. Barely get the 290 for 3 without having to stop rest my hands then go again. The best advise I got from Jim Wendler was for grip strenght. Kroc Rows are AMAZING. Take the heaviest dumbbell you can grab and just go to town on one arm rows. Don't worry so much about form (don't disregard it though) just rep it out until everything fails. It will most likely be your grip first, but the more you do the better your grip strength will get. I was sold after only 3 weeks of high rep. Upper Back got stronger and so did the grip. Pulled 300 no straps (weeee bit of chalk) for 5 reps. It works.

AdamFiddler

Thanks Shannon.  The days that I deadlift are followed by chin-ups and then Pendlay rows.  Would you suggest subbing the Kroc rows for the Pendlay rows?  Also--do you still do mixed grip now?  All of the advice I read pretty much says "work up as heavy as you can with double overhand and then switch to mixed". 

Damon Amato
    Participant

Id agree with that and second the Kroc row suggestion.

pshannon

Your lats are going to pretty burned out after Kroc Rows especially if you are taking it to failure; which is the point of Kroc Rows. This being said, I don't know where pull ups would fit. I want to say put them right after your Kroc rows, but you might not get the reps your use to (which can be discouraging). I have my dead lift on my legs day right now, for the overall hamstring development, but when I had them on my back day it looks a little like this. Deadlift - to death Kroc Row - I would grab 80s and go to town. Worked from being able to do 6 to 20 in one set. I usually only did 2 -3 working sets of these all out. Wide-Grip Lat Pull Down - Since my lats were dead I would focus on pulling with elbows and really getting the stretch. For a little reference I could usually only get 10-12 reps for 3 sets with 100lbs. I just did them today without Kroc Rows  and got 130x15. So the Deads and Krocs will kill your lats. High-Hammer or Wide Grip Seated Row - Just burn your Rhomboids. (10 Reps Minimal Rest) After Deads and Krocs is pretty much just getting the work in on the right muscles. Dont use straps on your Lat Pull downs or Rows and your grip (fore arms) will be dead. For grip I would honestly use the mix grip for ALL sets. Its far better for shoulders/ biceps/elbows. Getting use to more than one grip is hard. I love deads btw.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Grip mainly comes from your forearms, which is mostly slow twitch muscles, however for really heavy deadlifts (3 reps or less) some fast twitch muscle comes into play.  You can strengthen these by doing hammer curls.Another grip exercise that the others haven't mentioned (the ones they mentioned are great) are Pulldowns with Fat Grips and my favorite, high rep reverse curls with fat grips.

pshannon

Reverse Curls are a killer. Fat Bar Curls are good as well. Even if their cable curls.

zewski

Nice title  😉

Tomahawk

I would say drop the straps and start using chalk. Get some fat gripz and basically use them a lot. I havent tried Kroc rows, but I am thinking about it tomorrow.For heavy deadlifts I use a mixed grip.Since you asked: PR DL 675 at low 230s, current deadlift 605 at 225ish

AdamFiddler

I would say drop the straps and start using chalk. Get some fat gripz and basically use them a lot. I havent tried Kroc rows, but I am thinking about it tomorrow.For heavy deadlifts I use a mixed grip.Since you asked: PR DL 675 at low 230s, current deadlift 605 at 225ish

Thanks man.  I actually don't use straps or anything really and have just pulled double overhand (most of the time with hook grip) since I started, which was only a few months ago and really only a few months ago that I've started lifting weights.  I'll go with the Kroc rows and given the advice of many more experienced and knowledgeable people in this forum, over to mixed grip on my heavy sets.Tomahawk--at what percentages of your 1 or 3 RM do you start moving to mixed grip or what would you recommend?  --Adam

acarnovale

I'd agree with the Kroc rows suggestions. When I was doing them religiously I never had grip issues. I do have a different approach than Pshannon as I picked a weight I could do 15 or so with (ended up being 60s) and then I would go for 20 or more. Once I hit 30 per I'll up the weight.As for mixed vs. over hand; I generally stay with an overhand grip until I get up to the 330lb range then swith. Just make sure to keep your arms straight and you shouldn't have a problem with bicep tears.Best lift is 430lbs at 148

AdamFiddler

T

I'd agree with the Kroc rows suggestions. When I was doing them religiously I never had grip issues. I do have a different approach than Pshannon as I picked a weight I could do 15 or so with (ended up being 60s) and then I would go for 20 or more. Once I hit 30 per I'll up the weight.As for mixed vs. over hand; I generally stay with an overhand grip until I get up to the 330lb range then swith. Just make sure to keep your arms straight and you shouldn't have a problem with bicep tears.Best lift is 430lbs at 148

Thanks man.  That's actually how I was going to do the Kroc rows, I think it's called EDT (Escalating Density Training) where you essentially keep the weight the same until you are able to hit desired number of reps and only after that do you move the weight up.  Will report back in a few weeks on my progress.-Adam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My poor poor deadlift

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?