My poor poor deadlift

• This topic has 7 voices and 39 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Tomahawk

I would say drop the straps and start using chalk. Get some fat gripz and basically use them a lot. I havent tried Kroc rows, but I am thinking about it tomorrow.For heavy deadlifts I use a mixed grip.Since you asked: PR DL 675 at low 230s, current deadlift 605 at 225ish

Thanks man.  I actually don't use straps or anything really and have just pulled double overhand (most of the time with hook grip) since I started, which was only a few months ago and really only a few months ago that I've started lifting weights.  I'll go with the Kroc rows and given the advice of many more experienced and knowledgeable people in this forum, over to mixed grip on my heavy sets.Tomahawk--at what percentages of your 1 or 3 RM do you start moving to mixed grip or what would you recommend?  --Adam

I personally just dont do well with the hook grip. Just isnt for me I guess. Think it would take getting used to that is for sure.To be honest I switch fairly quickly. I usually go up by plates. 225 I will do double over, but 315 I switch to over/under. It is just what have I always done. Not saying it is right just my habit.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I just do a mixed grip as well.  The hook grip feels really weird to me.

Tomahawk

I just personally dont see how powerlifters can do CRAZY amounts of weight with it.

papahogg

You just have to get your grip stronger, use the fat gripz on all your barbell exercises (bench press, military press, squats, rows). You may have to swallow your ego a bit and use less weight in the beginning, but your grip strength will increase and using the fat gripz will also help with the wear and tear on your wrists and elbows in the long run. You won't be able to use the fat gripz with heavy weights on pulling exercises, but you should be able to use an overhand grip for these for a few reps.Best deadlift is 410 at 165 lbs. for 3 reps.

pshannon

The only problem with “fat gripz” is that you have to buy them. Their not economical, and there are a few ways you can get around it. I do agree wit lowering the weight to get the grip down.

AdamFiddler

Yeah I mean maybe a happy medium would be doing what Tomahawk and other do in using double overhand or hook up to as much as possible and then doing mixed for my deadlift sets, and just making my “grip work” rack pulls or lighter weight deadlift holds with double overhand on the same day.-Adam

Tomahawk

The only problem with "fat gripz" is that you have to buy them. Their not economical, and there are a few ways you can get around it. I do agree wit lowering the weight to get the grip down.

They are $40. Not exactly breaking the bank. They have their value if you use them.Today was the first time I tried Kroc rows and I did 65s for 40 reps.

acarnovale

The only problem with "fat gripz" is that you have to buy them. Their not economical, and there are a few ways you can get around it. I do agree wit lowering the weight to get the grip down.

Got a couple of old towels you can shred up? Just roll those nice and thick around the bar and that might work just as well. Or, if you want specific grip work try plate pinches, towel pull-ups/chins, heavy farmers, shrugs without straps, etc.

pshannon

Got a couple of old towels you can shred up? Just roll those nice and thick around the bar and that might work just as well. Or, if you want specific grip work try plate pinches, towel pull-ups/chins, heavy farmers, shrugs without straps, etc.

Without breaking the bank! Those are all great suggestions.

pshannon

They are $40. Not exactly breaking the bank. They have their value if you use them.Today was the first time I tried Kroc rows and I did 65s for 40 reps.

Strait 40 reps? Sounds like you need to jump to 100s

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I just personally dont see how powerlifters can do CRAZY amounts of weight with it.

It was my understanding power lifter don't use hook grips.  I always thought the hook grip was an Oly lifter thing.

AdamFiddler

Some use it, though whenever I look at the biggest deadlifting vids on youtube it always seems to be mixed being used.  Do you think that the whole “mixed grip can tear your bicep” is like all of the talk about squats giving you bad knees or deadlifts hurting your back?  (I.e. due to improper application and not the method itself)

Tomahawk

Strait 40 reps? Sounds like you need to jump to 100s

Ya I will move up next time. First time trying to do them quite like that.

acarnovale

Some use it, though whenever I look at the biggest deadlifting vids on youtube it always seems to be mixed being used.  Do you think that the whole "mixed grip can tear your bicep" is like all of the talk about squats giving you bad knees or deadlifts hurting your back?  (I.e. due to improper application and not the method itself)

From what I know, there's a valid reason for not doing mixed grip as it puts a lot more strain on the bicep than the overhand grip. However, as long as you keep that arm locked in position and use the mixed grip sparingly you should be able to avoid bicep tears.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If you do use the mixed grip ONLY use it when you can't use an overhand grip or at least alternate which hands are supinated and pronated.  If you don't you can get uneven back development.  It happened to me when I started deadlifting a few years ago.  I exclusively used the mixed grip and the left side of my back got significantly more developed than my right side.  I am still feeling the effects of this today and ecen though it is something I have been working on for awhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My poor poor deadlift

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?