Shockwave Protocol: Ripped Version

• This topic has 12 voices and 53 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

Almost like the other post I made, but this post is more along the lines of someone who wants to lose fat/lean out while doing Carb Nite, utlitizing the Shockwave Protocol: Ripped Version, or using another form of their workouts. Posting what works and doesn't. I know that I'll be on this one for a while, before using Carb-Backloading. I'm wanting to lose fat, and will post what my day-to-day rountine is like (consiting of foods, cardio, and workout). I hope others DH Members will use this forum to help others or to exchange what they're doing, and help motivate others to continue on.

Damon Amato
    Participant

so far I've done 1 week of CN +shockwave: ripped.  Wish I had more direction for the “perfect rep” in the ELECT exercises, especially deadlift.  Instructions for the perfect rep don't go well with traditional deadlifting, unless pulling heavy dead weight in a jerking kind of motion is a good idea.  In the comments section of Thibs article, someone said they lifted it normally, and then once the bar was up to their knees, then they'd complete the rest of the rep fast.  Sounds better, wish I could find a video.  For DL: 155/175/195/215/235.  I based these weights on my likely 1RM of 305 (no laughing).  Not sure yet if 1) the first set weight is correct, 2) the last set weight is correct, 3) the % increase for each set is correct, 4) if I'm supposed to get better each week, what should I start at next time?

Damon Amato
    Participant

carb nite last night:  8am: 2 cups coffee with heavy cream and 1 splenda, 2 fish oils (360mg omega-3)12pm: 1/3cup almonds, 30g whey isolate + 1tbsp MCT oil (and of course as I"m finishing this, I read in the book that is too much whey isolate at this time)2pm: shockwave: ripped, friday workout (back)3:30pm: 40g Blend H, 1 cup low fat chocolate milk, 1.5 servings pretzel rods5:30pm: gluten free donut (couldn't wait)6pm: dominoes pizza, 7 slices of a medium pizza, 4 slices of cheesy bread with spinach/feta7:30pm: 1cup non-fat cookies 'n' cream frozen yogurt with various candy type toppings (peanut butter cups, reeses pieces, m&m's)8:30pm: 1 scoop Blend D, gluten free donut9:30pm: small package of sweet tarts, 1 scoop hydrosylate, 1 fish oil.felt quite a bloat last night, but not the "I can't get my ass off the couch" bloat.  Feeling actually pretty good this morning being that my 3 y/o got up at 5:45am with a fever.How'd I do?

Richard Schmitt

so far I've done 1 week of CN +shockwave: ripped.  Wish I had more direction for the "perfect rep" in the ELECT exercises, especially deadlift.  Instructions for the perfect rep don't go well with traditional deadlifting, unless pulling heavy dead weight in a jerking kind of motion is a good idea.  In the comments section of Thibs article, someone said they lifted it normally, and then once the bar was up to their knees, then they'd complete the rest of the rep fast.  Sounds better, wish I could find a video.  For DL: 155/175/195/215/235.  I based these weights on my likely 1RM of 305 (no laughing).  Not sure yet if 1) the first set weight is correct, 2) the last set weight is correct, 3) the % increase for each set is correct, 4) if I'm supposed to get better each week, what should I start at next time?

Perfect rep with ELECT? Is it recommended or not really? I saw videos performing ELECT movements and they didn't show the Perfect Rep. ELECT movements, if done correctly, seem like a good workout itself. I haven't figured out any of my One Rep Max..which probably be a good idea to figure out. I can normally DL 185lbs ten times...is there an article that shows how to calculate this? Personally I would try the same weight for next week, and see where it goes from there. Tomorrow is Week 1 Day 1 for my whole deal, wish me luck. Waking up early ass in the morning to go do my normal HIIT Cardio, followed by my ab workout. Do you perform the HIIT Cardio suggested in the protocol ebook? The 4 minutes and 30 active rest, then a 30 secone sprint for a 30 minute period? If so, does it seem to work? or would you consider what I do which 30 second sprint followed by 30 second active rest for 30 minutes?

Richard Schmitt

carb nite last night:  8am: 2 cups coffee with heavy cream and 1 splenda, 2 fish oils (360mg omega-3)12pm: 1/3cup almonds, 30g whey isolate + 1tbsp MCT oil (and of course as I"m finishing this, I read in the book that is too much whey isolate at this time)2pm: shockwave: ripped, friday workout (back)3:30pm: 40g Blend H, 1 cup low fat chocolate milk, 1.5 servings pretzel rods5:30pm: gluten free donut (couldn't wait)6pm: dominoes pizza, 7 slices of a medium pizza, 4 slices of cheesy bread with spinach/feta7:30pm: 1cup non-fat cookies 'n' cream frozen yogurt with various candy type toppings (peanut butter cups, reeses pieces, m&m's)8:30pm: 1 scoop Blend D, gluten free donut9:30pm: small package of sweet tarts, 1 scoop hydrosylate, 1 fish oil.felt quite a bloat last night, but not the "I can't get my ass off the couch" bloat.  Feeling actually pretty good this morning being that my 3 y/o got up at 5:45am with a fever.How'd I do?

Honestly seemed like you had a really good night! I'd be happy with that. Sorry about your 3 year old though. I always felt bloated due to the carb intake, I was told to take some digestive enyzmes to help the bloating feeling. I haven't gotten my order yet, but when my Carb Nite hits, I'm taking that with my dinner/carbs and see where that takes me. I'm planning on my Carb Nite to be a box of donuts, a couple baked cookies they have at the chow hall, and probably a couple pieces of cake at the chow hall. Though I am certainly going to follow to time frame, 1.5-2 hours after taking in PWO Shake to eat dinner, then another 2 hours to have a full on dessert. on a personal level...pizza sounds really good right about now.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I thought ELECT was the perfect rep protocol?  Now I'm confused.  What is ELECT?  Also, what does AFAP mean?

Damon Amato
    Participant

ok I re-read the DH article on ELECT.  It's using the perfect rep with less rest and lower weight basically.For HIIT, I did the prescribed progression, but at 2 minute rest intervals.  Four min was just too long.  When I do taekwondo it's like HIIT often anyway, doing 1-2 minute drills of 3-kick combos on bags with 30 sec rest is what I'm used to.

Richard Schmitt

I thought ELECT was the perfect rep protocol?  Now I'm confused.  What is ELECT?  Also, what does AFAP mean?

I'm sure it could be used as a "Perfect Rep Protocol", but it's a quick change over, from light weight to heavy weight. AFAP means "As Fast As Possible"

Damon Amato
    Participant

what do you mean by quick changeover from light to heavy weight? 

Richard Schmitt

Ok normally the movement is 3 reps doing that five times is one whole set, increasing the weight with each rep. No rest inbetween these sets. Making it out to be a 15-20 rep movement. Say you're doing Dumbbell Curls, and you can only lift one time 45lbs with one arm. So with me it would be like 15×3,20×3,25×3,30×3,35×3. Then rest for a minute or two. Then repeat four more times. The last set should be difficult to lift. This is what I gathered and understood.

Damon Amato
    Participant

hmm, according to the perfect rep video, for your bicep curl example it would be 15×3,20×3,25×3,30×3,35×3 and that's it.  Shouldn't feel a pump or difficulty anywhere.

Richard Schmitt

Maybe I'm reading the Protocol Training Log wrong…

Damon Amato
    Participant

or I am.  I'm totally lost now, sent Naomi and Kiefer a message to visit this thread and help us out.  I'd like to not fuck up my workout tomorrow.

Richard Schmitt

Neither would I, you got Chest and Bi's correct?

CaseyD

AFAP = As few as as possibleA standard estimate of a 1RM is:RepsXweightX.0333+weightSo let's say you bench press 200 pounds for 5 reps...5X200X.0333+200 = 233.3I've found this to be fairly accurate and seems to work best for me if my "test" reps are between 5 and 10.As far as the deadlifting goes, he states that you do NOT use traditional deadlifting style for the ELECT reps. You would start in the "up" position and use the "touch and go" method. You just need to make sure you stay tight. You'd probably wanna start pretty light to practice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shockwave Protocol: Ripped Version

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?