Understanding ELECT

• This topic has 9 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

IronFreakShow

yeah, I'll say this much, when I was doing shockwave on CBL I could rock the entire workout. CNS is a different animal entirely. I honestly wouldn't expect huge gains on CNS, it wasn't originally designed for lifting, I know you are on a rogue setup which helps but it may not get a lot better. I know that my lifting capacity drops through the week on CNS, I have a really hard time of hitting 85% on my shoulder presses (my pride and joy.) CNS is designed for fat burning as its main goal, CBL is fat burning and lean mass building.

IronFreakShow

as for squats listen to trevorxgage, that’s what it takes. I do a lot of front squats, they require CRAZY core activation, and like he said, drop that weight down and get ass to grass, FORM FORM FORM, the weight will follow.

Richard Schmitt

Yeah I agree with you, my squat is horrible form and strength. I am really trying to get parallel while moving big weight. I can get 165lbs at parallel but when I try to do 85% of my max (85%=185) I can't even get below 45 degrees because I'm weak with squats...I can't even bench past 155 without struggling. Deadlifts I get stuck at 255 and shoulder presses stop at 100...yeah pretty pathetic compared to y'all. Thus why I want to find out what the ranges are to increase strength while doing SW ELECTS while on CNS.

Drop the weights much lower, get the form right, squat fully ass to grass, and to CBL, don't worry about fat loss, gain strength and muscle, and your BF% will almost surely go down.

Exactly what I want to do. I feel pretty stupid when I have really low weight on the bar for squats and struggle. However, when I did have it at 155-165 getting low, I could feel it working my legs really well. Making me feel sore after training and the next day. Progress maybe?

Don't feel stupid dropping the weight. When I first started doing full squats I dropped from 200lb to 115 so I could hit depth, it just takes time but you will get much better results doing that, you will be safer, and you will be stronger for it.

Richard Schmitt

Don't feel stupid dropping the weight. When I first started doing full squats I dropped from 200lb to 115 so I could hit depth, it just takes time but you will get much better results doing that, you will be safer, and you will be stronger for it.

Will do, appreciate it.

BostonBully

Today I just went for it.  I did box squats instead of standard squats and failed on the 4th set of 3.  I also failed on the 5th set of leg curls.  I wrote it all down though so next week I have better idea where to start so I can finish the 5 sets but the last set should be tuff.  Like anything new it is a learning experience.  Find a baseline and go from their.Who cares what the weight on the bar is.  Your their to get bigger and stronger not impress everyone else in the gym.  No matter how strong you get someone else will always be stronger.  So you mind as well just be happy with yourself.

Who cares what the weight on the bar is.  Your their to get bigger and stronger not impress everyone else in the gym.  No matter how strong you get someone else will always be stronger.  So you mind as well just be happy with yourself.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Taylor

Hey everyone,Thanks so much for the great replies. It really cleared it up for me and gave me some great direction.Really Appreciate it.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yeah I agree with you, my squat is horrible form and strength. I am really trying to get parallel while moving big weight. I can get 165lbs at parallel but when I try to do 85% of my max (85%=185) I can't even get below 45 degrees because I'm weak with squats...I can't even bench past 155 without struggling. Deadlifts I get stuck at 255 and shoulder presses stop at 100...yeah pretty pathetic compared to y'all. Thus why I want to find out what the ranges are to increase strength while doing SW ELECTS while on CNS.

Drop the weights much lower, get the form right, squat fully ass to grass, and to CBL, don't worry about fat loss, gain strength and muscle, and your BF% will almost surely go down.

I agree.  I have also found that if you have poor range of movement, do olympic squats (high bar squats) and go ass to floor.  You will probably only be able to use about 2/3 of the weight you are used to squatting, but once you get the range of movement down, low bar squats will seem like a joke.

guitarjon
    Participant

Drop the weights much lower, get the form right, squat fully ass to grass, and to CBL, don't worry about fat loss, gain strength and muscle, and your BF% will almost surely go down.Would this be the case if I'm currently at 9-10% BF?

CptSmash

The thing that gets me though, is setting up each rep/set. I did ask this question for webinar but since it never aired, the question never got answered. But how would someone set this up? for example, 65%-70%-75%-80%-85%? I would do these according to the main lifts, i.e. bench, squat, deads, and shoulder press. Everything else will go by feel and what I can and cannot do.

I agree with just picking a starting weight you can handle, rather than a arbitrary number that you're suppose to be able to hit.  The 1RM is really quite unreliable from day to day strength levels, especially when you're trying to diet down and you're not sure how your energy level is going to be.  You could be having an outstanding day and powering through sets like a madman and add weights up to 105-110% beyond the norm some days and then some days 75% feels like a brick in your gut.  One thing that I noticed while I was doing Thib's version of ELECT back in Korea, was that the focus was on the acceleration of the lift, more so than the weight.  As long as you could accelerate through the lift you were good.  Once you hit a weight that you had to grind to get through you were  either done, or you took weight off the bar.The only thing I can't stand about the Shockwave protocol is that I love the volume.  I know it destroys me, but at this point I can't handle it.  I'll have to experiment with it once I get back from Italy again.  It'd probably save me a bunch of trouble with old injuries.  My bullheadedness gets me every time.  That being said though, doing full reps with good form is the highlight of a smart lifter.  If you can't pick up the weight and do it with good form, you probably should leave your ego at the door.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Understanding ELECT

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?