Casein and Whey

• This topic has 8 voices and 34 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

bako71

I normally buy GNC's 100% Whey Protein. Well I read in Men's Health that one should use whey in the morning and casein in the night. The guy at the GNC store told me I should just stick with the whey protein I usually buy. He talked me out of a sale. What is recommended by some of you? I was thinking about getting some Isopure (I have never tried it). Should I be using any other type of protein. I used to use soy protein over a year ago.

So, good, you're off soy. excellent.GNC should have isopure which is actually quite good. But you can get it "whey" cheaper from Amazon.  (shoot me...)Other high-quality choices would be anything from ProteinFactory.com (and of course we recommend the DH blends).But you could try out a few cheaper brands -- after checking labels to avoid those fillers, definitely -- and see what feels good to you digestively. Some people are sensitive to crappy whey protein (I definitely am, it'll screw me up for days) while some people can eat Walmart protein by the jarload without so much as a tummy rumble.

Here, here! I spent years convinced that feeling bloated was just the way it was went you took protein supplements. I have used isopure too and it did well for me.

Naomi, what is your opinion on Biotest Metabolic Drive Low Carb?  I live in Colorado so it is convienent to order it and have in on my doorstep the next day.

Naomi Most

Naomi, what is your opinion on Biotest Metabolic Drive Low Carb?  I live in Colorado so it is convienent to order it and have in on my doorstep the next day.

Errr, what for?  It's specifically designed to be slowly absorbed.

bako71

hmmm ..... I guess to use it for taste.  The blend D and H taste so bad so I do half scoop of the Metabolic drive and blend D preworkout with coconut oil and half with blend H post workout with the creatine and leucine.What would be a better option?  I have a really hard time getting down the blends by themselves.

Naomi Most

hmmm ..... I guess to use it for taste.  The blend D and H taste so bad so I do half scoop of the Metabolic drive and blend D preworkout with coconut oil and half with blend H post workout with the creatine and leucine.What would be a better option?  I have a really hard time getting down the blends by themselves.

Don't mean to question your motives here, but I have to question your motives.  🙂  What's with all the pre-workout protein?

amedio

It is not suppose to taste good. It is good for you!  ;D Just kidding. I ordered my blend D without any sweetner, but with vanilla flavor. I add a scoop of the blend D to French roast coffee and a tablespoon of of heavy whipping cream. I sometimes add coconut oil if I have this latte pre-workout. With blend H, I just mix it with unsweetened almond milk and chug it down. By the way, I ordered the blend H without any sweetner, but chocolate flavor. Sometimes I add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. I do not really view protein shakes as something that should taste good. I deem protein shakes are a necessity.

Kris1501

Dextrose is the best way to mask the taste of blend H…Amedio, you should avoid using PB with blend H... It's going to slow absorption.

amedio

Dextrose is the best way to mask the taste of blend H...Amedio, you should avoid using PB with blend H... It's going to slow absorption.

Noted.  >:( Haha!Dextrose is not really and option if one is trying to stay ultra low carb.

bako71

Don't mean to question your motives here, but I have to question your motives.  🙂  What's with all the pre-workout protein?

Haha it is ok to question me, I am glad you do.  I do it because I will sometimes refer back to a diet Kiefer did for me last year and he had me do a blend D with coconut oil.  Also, because the way my work schedule is.  I eat first meal around 11 and then maybe some nuts around 2:30  My work out isn't until 6-630 so a shake seemed the best option.  What do you suggest?

bako71

It is not suppose to taste good. It is good for you!  ;D Just kidding. I ordered my blend D without any sweetner, but with vanilla flavor. I add a scoop of the blend D to French roast coffee and a tablespoon of of heavy whipping cream. I sometimes add coconut oil if I have this latte pre-workout. With blend H, I just mix it with unsweetened almond milk and chug it down. By the way, I ordered the blend H without any sweetner, but chocolate flavor. Sometimes I add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. I do not really view protein shakes as something that should taste good. I deem protein shakes are a necessity.

Good ideas....Actually today I decided to try blend D with about4 oz of unsweetend coconut milk and I blended them in my Magic Bullet.  I didn't drink it right away and when I went to drink it, it had turned into this pudding/moose kind of thing.  It was really really good!

Naomi Most

Hrm.  Well I just listened to Kiefer's interview with Sean Hyson (it's going to be posted on Sean Hyson's weblog in the very near future — possibly this weekend or Monday), and I have to say I have become confused about what makes an appropriate protein blend for Carb Back-Loading.E.g. Kiefer calls Blend D "homeless", like it doesn't really fit anywhere in his diets anymore.  Hrm.We'll have to get Kiefer to open up some more about this topic.

Richard Schmitt

We'll have to get Kiefer to open up some more about this topic.

With that being said, his latest post on DH.COM he mentioned that he will be "more involed" with this site and all. Most of us are still waiting (being patient) on what he does to make his product work so well with him.

Kris1501

E.g. Kiefer calls Blend D "homeless", like it doesn't really fit anywhere in his diets anymore.  Hrm.

That's interesting. I was going to post a question about this exact topic. I had began thinking that Blend D didn't really fit in anymore. It makes more sense to replace it with an isolate shake. I am curious to see Kiefer's take on this...I have decided not to order anymore Blend D and just finish what have by using it with dextrose in my back loads.

amedio

OH BOLLOCKS!  >:(Seriously? I just purchased five pounds of the blend D last week! Oh well... I still think it is a above par protein and I am going to use it until it is ALL gone.

Chase102798

I wondered about this when I read CBL. I used a PF blend that I made that was similar to Blend D, but since reading the CBL book I have removed the hydro proteins from my blend. That is what I like so much about the custom route…easy to add and subract. I just assumed that since Keifer is much smarter than me and a big research guy that he is adapting and amending his info. Since the Blend D was created in a 2010?? article, I just committed 100% to the latest CBL book info. So no hydros for me during the first half of the day. Right now I'm using a Native Whey Isolate/Casein blend earlier and I keep straight WPI on hand too. I'm hoping this is close to what he wants in the book and look forward to more information on the subject.

Naomi Most

OH BOLLOCKS!  >:(Seriously? I just purchased five pounds of the blend D last week! Oh well... I still think it is a above par protein and I am going to use it until it is ALL gone.

I sympathize. I just ordered 2 pounds of it at the end of 2011.  I use it only rarely.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Casein and Whey

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?