Photos: Cardio & Wholegrains Vs Lifting & Meat

• This topic has 18 voices and 138 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 139 total)
  • Author

Damn. Same with the doc who told me magnesium was bad for my heart.

Seriously.  It's like...Doc:  What are you self-prescribing?Me:  I take branch chained amino acids each day.Doc:  What are those?Doc:  You should just stop taking them!Me:  Why?Doc:  I am not sure what they do, and I don't believe you need them.Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

How can you not understand what a Branch Chain Amino Acid is?! It says it IN the name...

If you don't know anything about nutrition you are not going to know what an amino acid is.  For instance my roomate who is a nuclear engineer and a very intelligent person had a conversation about whey protein.  Both of us take it (though he is a distance runner) and he said to that maybe whey protein isn't very good for you and he cited the amino acid profile table that is on most commercial whey protein products.  He said "I mean look at all this stuff they put in this, it can't be good for you!".  Because the names Luecine, Isoleucine, Glutamic Acid, ect. are all hard pronounce names, people think they are some crazy chemical that will give you cancer.After I explained to him that amino acids are just building blocks of protein and that they are in the food you eat, he changed his opinion.

Richard Schmitt

Unfortunately even nutritionist have a difficult time with fitness and health. Personal experience with a nutritionist, showed me that they don't care at all nor want to care. I deal with doctors from almost all aspects of the human body, none of them have the knowledge to understand how nutrition and how exercise plays a role into health. They just prescribe me drugs every time I go to see them. When I ask them about doing a certain diet (like this one) they tell me to stop and eat this certain way. Like what they tell y'all to do. Which is making the world fat, at least in America.

Frankly, I will go to a doc IF I need it, and I will only take chem. meds IF it is life or death!I prefer homeopathy treatments, and I think ancient eastern medicine has a lot to offer that the western world doesn't fully understand.  Think Ayurvedic medicine, for instance.Sure, herbs take a while to build up in the system, but they CAN work, and work quite well.Cory

Richard Schmitt

I only go because I have to go through a process right now with the military. After that, unless I need to which will be semi-annually, I won't go. I dread going to the docs. I'm glad we have an educated family doctor on here now, Dr Patel. If only he could make everywhere calls.

Fairy

How can you not understand what a Branch Chain Amino Acid is?! It says it IN the name...

If you don't know anything about nutrition you are not going to know what an amino acid is.  For instance my roomate who is a nuclear engineer and a very intelligent person had a conversation about whey protein.  Both of us take it (though he is a distance runner) and he said to that maybe whey protein isn't very good for you and he cited the amino acid profile table that is on most commercial whey protein products.  He said "I mean look at all this stuff they put in this, it can't be good for you!".  Because the names Luecine, Isoleucine, Glutamic Acid, ect. are all hard pronounce names, people think they are some crazy chemical that will give you cancer.After I explained to him that amino acids are just building blocks of protein and that they are in the food you eat, he changed his opinion.

I'm surprised at that. I remember learning about amino acids in highschool age 15 in a non-optional class. So at least in the UK everyone should technically know what an amino acid is.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Frankly, I will go to a doc IF I need it, and I will only take chem. meds IF it is life or death!I prefer homeopathy treatments, and I think ancient eastern medicine has a lot to offer that the western world doesn't fully understand.  Think Ayurvedic medicine, for instance.Sure, herbs take a while to build up in the system, but they CAN work, and work quite well.Cory

The only thing with herbs are that they aren't much different than taking a drug.  It is putting a foreign chemical in your body that shouldn't be there, a controlled poison.  The only difference is it comes from a plant rather than a lab.Western medicine has it's place, but it should not be used to patch up problems caused by diet and lifestyle.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm surprised at that. I remember learning about amino acids in highschool age 15 in a non-optional class. So at least in the UK everyone should technically know what an amino acid is.

I took biology in high school at around the same age as well, as did my roomate because we went to school together.  I don't know education is in the UK, but in the States it's pretty much designed so that the best technique to excel in school is to memorize whatever you are going to be tested on, take the test, and forget it.I can't remember if I even learned about what amino acids were, so I don't really blame him for not knowing.

Fairy

I think homeopathy = placebo Herbs = drug, but at least in it's natural form it will likely come with compounds that aid the 'active' compound's usefulness. Think green tea extract vs caffeine pill. There is a study I saw showing green tea has more effect on fatloss than can be explained by the caffeine content alone. Same with coffee, and I imagine other herb/drugs.

I learned about them in both HS biology and health classes, 14 or 15 also... around 9th grade.Cory

The only thing with herbs are that they aren't much different than taking a drug.  It is putting a foreign chemical in your body that shouldn't be there, a controlled poison.  The only difference is it comes from a plant rather than a lab.Western medicine has it's place, but it should not be used to patch up problems caused by diet and lifestyle.

No doubt that diet and exercise should be the foundation, and actually, some drugs utilize chemically enhanced / modified herbs @ larger quantity... like St. John's Wort in some anti-depressants.What I am saying is, I'd rather use what nature provides, than put chemically modified shit in my body.CoryEDIT:  Wanted to add, that anything I take is in supplement to my diet and exercise.... nothing is meant to be a replacement.

I think homeopathy = placebo Herbs = drug, but at least in it's natural form it will likely come with compounds that aid the 'active' compound's usefulness. Think green tea extract vs caffeine pill. There is a study I saw showing green tea has more effect on fatloss than can be explained by the caffeine content alone. Same with coffee, and I imagine other herb/drugs.

Some homeopathy can be a placebo.  That said, there are a lot of herbs that work VERY well.  In fact, western science is confirming, more and more, what Chinese and Indian herbalists have known for centuries (via their own trial).  The power of Green Tea is just one example.Herbs can have a broad spectrum of benefits, not simply targeting one aspect or condition.  The more potent the herb, which has a lot to do with how it is grown / handled, the more powerful the results.Take Cissus Quandragularis, for instance.  It is prevalent in the east.  I use it for joint support (and it is amazing for this), however, it can be used as a low-level anti-aromatase, fat loss and even for curing fucking hemorrhoids (the Thai use it for the latter).Cory

samuel r walker
    Participant

Speaking of doctors, I talked to one I know personally today, and after an in depth conversation explaining the protocols CNS I convinced him to climb aboard. Im typing up an outline tonight for him to start the prep phase tomorrow>=)

Fairy

Cool 🙂 The more the better

Damon Amato
    Participant

Fairy I'm with you. At my nutrition group at the gym there is a class where I swallow 100 pills of calms forte a la James Randy, just to make a point. Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Photos: Cardio & Wholegrains Vs Lifting & Meat

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?