What Program/Training are you doing?

• This topic has 14 voices and 39 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

acarnovale

I've been running 5/3/1 for pretty much two years now. I'm relatively strong for my size (5'1″, 145lbs) with my best lifts being 335/260/430. Hell of a long way to go on the squat but I'm going to up my squatting frequency in the coming months with Wendler's full body template. Before I get to that cycle I'll be spending some time focusing on my assitance work to bring up my weaknesses (HAMSTRINGS!!!!)

thestiffmeister
    Participant

I've been running 5/3/1 for pretty much two years now. I'm relatively strong for my size (5'1", 145lbs) with my best lifts being 335/260/430. Hell of a long way to go on the squat but I'm going to up my squatting frequency in the coming months with Wendler's full body template. Before I get to that cycle I'll be spending some time focusing on my assitance work to bring up my weaknesses (HAMSTRINGS!!!!)

Impressive, and I can definitely relate as far as lagging hamstrings go! I actually started training hamstrings this year, right when I started squatting/dead-lifting. What are your goals though? I would consider your numbers pretty elite for someone who isn't a power-lifter.

Daveski731

I've been running 5/3/1 for pretty much two years now. I'm relatively strong for my size (5'1", 145lbs) with my best lifts being 335/260/430. Hell of a long way to go on the squat but I'm going to up my squatting frequency in the coming months with Wendler's full body template. Before I get to that cycle I'll be spending some time focusing on my assitance work to bring up my weaknesses (HAMSTRINGS!!!!)[qoute]How long have you been training?Ive been doing some cycling, kinda like Boltons, KK type training where i cycle the percentages up. Only exception i typically do a non traditional deload where i do some different types of tests.

acarnovale

I've been running 5/3/1 for pretty much two years now. I'm relatively strong for my size (5'1", 145lbs) with my best lifts being 335/260/430. Hell of a long way to go on the squat but I'm going to up my squatting frequency in the coming months with Wendler's full body template. Before I get to that cycle I'll be spending some time focusing on my assitance work to bring up my weaknesses (HAMSTRINGS!!!!)

Impressive, and I can definitely relate as far as lagging hamstrings go! I actually started training hamstrings this year, right when I started squatting/dead-lifting. What are your goals though? I would consider your numbers pretty elite for someone who isn't a power-lifter.

My long-term goals are to hit 400/300/500. I do powerlifting competitions but am still very green in the sport (only 3 competitions so far). As far as the short-term goes, I want to drop down to 140lbs or so and stay there so I can carb up for the meet vs. cut weight. Didn't enjoy the experience at all for my last competiton so I'm going to try and avoid it at all costs. Also, I want to see my squat start going up which is why I'm going to focus on thrashing my hamstrings, low back and abdominals. Working on technique always too as I've developed a bit of a dive-bomb style squat and I don't think that's going to be sustainable.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

My long-term goals are to hit 400/300/500. I do powerlifting competitions but am still very green in the sport (only 3 competitions so far). As far as the short-term goes, I want to drop down to 140lbs or so and stay there so I can carb up for the meet vs. cut weight. Didn't enjoy the experience at all for my last competiton so I'm going to try and avoid it at all costs. Also, I want to see my squat start going up which is why I'm going to focus on thrashing my hamstrings, low back and abdominals. Working on technique always too as I've developed a bit of a dive-bomb style squat and I don't think that's going to be sustainable.

Yeah I still need some major work on my hamstrings and my squat/dl technique which are both much better than they used to be, but my it's tough to keep my ego in check. I remember the first time I hit 425 on the squat, form was horrible, turned into a good morning lol Also used to just rip the weight off the floor with my back alone on DL and hit over 405 easily before I started stalling. Carbing up before a meet would give you retard strength. Heck, I hit most of my PRs after a night of sloppy eating/drinking.

Daveski731

Yeah I still need some major work on my hamstrings and my squat/dl technique which are both much better than they used to be, but my it's tough to keep my ego in check. I remember the first time I hit 425 on the squat, form was horrible, turned into a good morning lol Also used to just rip the weight off the floor with my back alone on DL and hit over 405 easily before I started stalling. Carbing up before a meet would give you retard strength. Heck, I hit most of my PRs after a night of sloppy eating/drinking.

Ever do dead stop good mornings? They are awesome.

BenjaminD

Dead stop GMs as in suspended/concentric only GMs?GMs are great but I bulged a disk in my back from doing suspended GMs so make sure you focus on moving your hips first and not your lower back/lumbar spine.

acarnovale

Never done Dead Stop Good Mornings. I've mostly been focusing on RDLs and hamstring curls (done before my squats). In my next cycle I'm going to adding in sumo pulls and good mornings and see how that goes.

Daveski731

Dead stop GMs as in suspended/concentric only GMs?GMs are great but I bulged a disk in my back from doing suspended GMs so make sure you focus on moving your hips first and not your lower back/lumbar spine.

I hear that. I try to set up as close to my deadlift as possible, and roll back on my heels. I am goining to use these when I fry my hands.

BenjaminD

I definitely recommend doing these with suspension straps as opposed to doing them off of a pin/out of the rack. You can get in a better position to take the rep and you're not as limited in your range of motion (pins don't allow you to move the bar into position as well as a chain suspension system does).

jigga

Anyone ever try a jay cutler or Ronnie Coleman type of training split?

TheDude825

I am doing 5/3/1 with the assistance lifts outlined in the 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding article on Jim's site.  This is my first cycle back on 5/3/1 after switching to Madcow for the summer.  I am liking the assistance lifts but would prefer a 5 or even 6 day split to allow for more backloading.  Do you guys thinking adding an optional day on Saturday concentrating on weak areas would be advisable or would I probably find dragging ass?

Jack O'Neill

Shockwave protocol during CNSHeavy duty version of SP during CBL

jsmith

im doing a 5×5 variation with cluster style reps for the 5×5.anyone ever done these?

Anyone ever try a jay cutler or Ronnie Coleman type of training split?

I ran Cutler's 2009 Olympia FST-7 program once... just for fun.  Did it for a month.  Heavy volume, even more than I usually can swallow... but, it was a nice shock.Ronnie's routine has WAY too much volume for someone not using juice.Cory

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

What Program/Training are you doing?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?