anyone under 10% bf????

• This topic has 14 voices and 54 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

So basically your workouts are really good to use with CBL? I mean the days you lift you take in the 600g? I'm sure I would have much more progress if I wasn't too afraid to take more in haha. Especially since you weigh more than I do, but shorter…better body fat percentage too. I fully understand the difference betweem carbs, usuable carbs, and fiberous carbs. I also know how to keep my fat/protein levels 50/50 for my ULC meals. Not difficult if you know what to look for. With strength and size gain, I've noticed that I have gotten stronger and gained some size. I the pictures side by side from the first monday of this month till this last monday. Granted my mid-section isn't really moving, but it isn't moving in a bad direction either. I believe with the way my body&genes are that's the most difficult area to lose. I believe no matter how far we get with using CBL or CN, we'll always be learning from Kiefer, and from Naomi. Now when you mean you up your fat intake, that is with regards for the low-carb part of the day? That's what I came to believe the chart is mostly for, to understand how far you can actually go or low you can actually go for the low-carb portion of the day. The delta chart showing how far you can go by intaking carbs, now that is cool. I'm wanting to try, one of these days, the 600g and see where that will take me, because worst case scenario, start the prep-phase over again. The one main problem I am faced with is the foods I have here. The choices here don't really help with CBL unless I take in desserts the whole damn time.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

So basically your workouts are really good to use with CBL? I mean the days you lift you take in the 600g? I'm sure I would have much more progress if I wasn't too afraid to take more in haha. Especially since you weigh more than I do, but shorter...better body fat percentage too. I fully understand the difference betweem carbs, usuable carbs, and fiberous carbs. I also know how to keep my fat/protein levels 50/50 for my ULC meals. Not difficult if you know what to look for. With strength and size gain, I've noticed that I have gotten stronger and gained some size. I the pictures side by side from the first monday of this month till this last monday. Granted my mid-section isn't really moving, but it isn't moving in a bad direction either. I believe with the way my body&genes are that's the most difficult area to lose. I believe no matter how far we get with using CBL or CN, we'll always be learning from Kiefer, and from Naomi. Now when you mean you up your fat intake, that is with regards for the low-carb part of the day? That's what I came to believe the chart is mostly for, to understand how far you can actually go or low you can actually go for the low-carb portion of the day. The delta chart showing how far you can go by intaking carbs, now that is cool. I'm wanting to try, one of these days, the 600g and see where that will take me, because worst case scenario, start the prep-phase over again. The one main problem I am faced with is the foods I have here. The choices here don't really help with CBL unless I take in desserts the whole damn time.

I do 4 heavy workouts a week usually between 75-85 1RM, sometimes 90, that last between one to one and half hours (depending on how crowded the gym is).  I see my trainer every three months on a deload week and he takes stock of my progress (a real snapshot as he is in another town) and gives me a whole new routine which he puts me through before sending me back home. Workouts change every 12 weeks.  I do fasted workouts. Yep, I find the IF principle to work for me.  This is validated by CBL.  So I really don't have a low carb portion of the day. I know many members have energy problems working out fasted.  I used to workout fasted a long time ago but then got on the band wagon about the 6 small meals a day, including breakfast (I always hated to eat breakfast but forced myself) which really put me back a couple of years in terms of progress. I had energy problems working out if I ate something before on that same day.  I really don't care about eating prior to workouts.  I go to bed at 11 or midnight, wake up by 6 or 7, and don't eat till around 6 pm after my workout. I LOVE EATING AT NIGHT! Bring it on!  I am more focused and alert during the day fasted and I don't spend time eating or thinking about food. I do low carb on off nights (3 nights a week). I do not go over 1.3g/lb protein and NOW with CBL/CNS at least match that (calorie-wise) with varied fats.  I prepare 90 % of my meals. I get it that you are not able to?    I usually do HIIT once a week on an off day to keep my heart conditioned (my resting heart rate is between 45- 50 bpm). I find that with CBL/CNS I have more stamina with HIIT.  I used the delta chart after a 6 day prep period (I just did six days due to two factors, lower bf and I shifted to fat burning between the 3rd and 4th day), and the result matched the BW to Carbs Calculator almost exactly(659g/672g respectively). Prior to CBL/CNS I never went beyond 300 g of carbs on any kind of day. Usually its from 60 to 150g and the 300g I may hit if I go out eating with friends or holidays etc. All that has changed.  For the better.  Your results may be different from mine. I was a fat kid.  BTW, its past my bedtime.  See you guys in the AM.

Richard Schmitt

I do 4 heavy workouts a week usually between 75-85 1RM, sometimes 90, that last between one to one and half hours (depending on how crowded the gym is).  I see my trainer every three months on a deload week and he takes stock of my progress (a real snapshot as he is in another town) and gives me a whole new routine which he puts me through before sending me back home. Workouts change every 12 weeks.  I do fasted workouts. Yep, I find the IF principle to work for me.  This is validated by CBL.  So I really don't have a low carb portion of the day. I know many members have energy problems working out fasted.  I used to workout fasted a long time ago but then got on the band wagon about the 6 small meals a day, including breakfast (I always hated to eat breakfast but forced myself) which really put me back a couple of years in terms of progress. I had energy problems working out if I ate something before on that same day.  I really don't care about eating prior to workouts.  I go to bed at 11 or midnight, wake up by 6 or 7, and don't eat till around 6 pm after my workout. I LOVE EATING AT NIGHT! Bring it on!  I am more focused and alert during the day fasted and I don't spend time eating or thinking about food. I do low carb on off nights (3 nights a week). I do not go over 1.3g/lb protein and NOW with CBL/CNS at least match that (calorie-wise) with varied fats.  I prepare 90 % of my meals. I get it that you are not able to?    I usually do HIIT once a week on an off day to keep my heart conditioned (my resting heart rate is between 45- 50 bpm). I find that with CBL/CNS I have more stamina with HIIT.  I used the delta chart after a 6 day prep period (I just did six days due to two factors, lower bf and I shifted to fat burning between the 3rd and 4th day), and the result matched the BW to Carbs Calculator almost exactly(659g/672g respectively). Prior to CBL/CNS I never went beyond 300 g of carbs on any kind of day. Usually its from 60 to 150g and the 300g I may hit if I go out eating with friends or holidays etc. All that has changed.  For the better.  Your results may be different from mine. I was a fat kid.  BTW, its past my bedtime.  See you guys in the AM.

Oh wow, yeah I have someone helping me out with body composition, and have me doing heavy workouts now. Which great because it's something new, and there are the basic, simple movements. Started it yesterday and for the amount that I thought it was going to be, lasted over an hour. Felt sore as fuck too haha. Mhmm that sounds interesting, the only thing I take in during my 1st meal is just the plain tuna, and some sort of fat, with a salad. I had figured this being close to fasting but I wonder if something like that will help or work with me as well. I got on the band wagon/bro science too with the whole six meals a day, keep them small, wheat products, do it this way bull...I hated doing breakfast too, I LOVE BREAKFAST food though. That's the difference, when I'm able to get home, and cook, I'm sure I'll have breakfst for dinner on more than one occasion. WAIT! WTF!? Only one HIIT session a week??? And you're that lean! Wow...now with fasted do, you have that coconut oil during the day with a coffee or not really anything till PWO? With the training program I am put on now, I don't do the amount of HIIT like I would force myself to go do, I'd wake up at 4am to do 30 minutes of intervals...now I'm only allowed to do HIIT for two days unless I'm told otherwise. So you match fats with proteins PWO?? or just during the low carb/off nights? No I am currently deployed, so having anything prepared is to look at the menu prior to getting at the chow hall and writing it down. Yes may sound stupid, but I'm determined. Yeah I just looked at my BW to Carb Ratio, and mine is at around 600g. This sounds interesting to think about doing, to lower body fat, and I'm only really able to get things in the evening. Yeah the deal with me might be somewhat close or closer to you as well. I was a fat kid in high school, and a little during my Marine Corps career. Was at or a little over 210lbs at 5'11", weight varied up and down, looked like crap along the way, now I'm 6'0" at 185lbs. Take it easy.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Oh wow, yeah I have someone helping me out with body composition, and have me doing heavy workouts now. Which great because it's something new, and there are the basic, simple movements. Started it yesterday and for the amount that I thought it was going to be, lasted over an hour. Felt sore as fuck too haha. Mhmm that sounds interesting, the only thing I take in during my 1st meal is just the plain tuna, and some sort of fat, with a salad. I had figured this being close to fasting but I wonder if something like that will help or work with me as well. I got on the band wagon/bro science too with the whole six meals a day, keep them small, wheat products, do it this way bull...I hated doing breakfast too, I LOVE BREAKFAST food though. That's the difference, when I'm able to get home, and cook, I'm sure I'll have breakfst for dinner on more than one occasion. WAIT! WTF!? Only one HIIT session a week??? And you're that lean! Wow...now with fasted do, you have that coconut oil during the day with a coffee or not really anything till PWO? With the training program I am put on now, I don't do the amount of HIIT like I would force myself to go do, I'd wake up at 4am to do 30 minutes of intervals...now I'm only allowed to do HIIT for two days unless I'm told otherwise. So you match fats with proteins PWO?? or just during the low carb/off nights? No I am currently deployed, so having anything prepared is to look at the menu prior to getting at the chow hall and writing it down. Yes may sound stupid, but I'm determined. Yeah I just looked at my BW to Carb Ratio, and mine is at around 600g. This sounds interesting to think about doing, to lower body fat, and I'm only really able to get things in the evening. Yeah the deal with me might be somewhat close or closer to you as well. I was a fat kid in high school, and a little during my Marine Corps career. Was at or a little over 210lbs at 5'11", weight varied up and down, looked like crap along the way, now I'm 6'0" at 185lbs. Take it easy.

Like you, I love breakfast food too, at night.  If you want to look at fasting and stubborn body fat check out:http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.htmlNo, I don't do eat anything pre-workout,not even coconut oil. BUT I will have 10 g BCAAs at the start of and during ( I am still studying Kiefer's protocol on pre and intra workout nutrition, and have recently incorporated the PWO formula, but since I don't have energy problems during the workout, I am not in a hurry, one step at a time, I also switched to USP Labs BCAAs after reading Naomi's comment on the higher leucine ratio ).  I used to do three HIIT sessions before, on days off, but really, the return for investment on the time spent, and the drain on the Central Nervous System was not worth it. I cut it down to one and there is still no difference in capacity from when I would do three. I don't do it to burn calories or get leaner, but rather to condition my cardiac/aerobic capacity. I know, doing heavy weights does that as well, BUT, I don't have a Polar chest strap while lifting (gets in the way) and while doing HIIT I can concentrate on my cardio/aerobic capacity alone and measure, whereas, while lifting, I am concentrating on strength and form. I DID try taking in a tablespoon of coconut oil with coffee prior to the last time I did HIIT and I noticed that I started sweating and really getting hot under the skin at the end of the warm up, before I even do the first surge whereas, before, I would only start doing that after the first surge. I only consciously match fats with proteins on low carb days.  During carb backloading, I pay attention to carbs and my maximum protein and not much on fat, other than making sure I get the Omega 3 supplementation. Though I would say that my fat consumption goes way down in proportion during backloading days.  I am still learning.  It would be frustrating for me to be in your situation.  I am known for asking the waiter to modify any food I order at restaurants.  It's a sideshow for my friends. I would make friends with the kitchen staff at your station and maybe volunteer to help behind the counter and in the kitchen to see more of their process in food preparation.  Theeeeeen slowly, I would let them know about my training and what I am attempting to do and usually they would get on board with me and before I know it they would customize the food.  But, those are in way different situations from, when I am on an extended consulting trip during summers. I read somewhere that its about 10 lbs per inch so at 5'11" you could be easily 230 pounds, lean and jacked.  I would also try Kiefer's workout protocols if I don't already have a trainer who understands I need to do heavy weight workouts.  In fact, I tried out the "style" in which Kiefer described how to do reps in a couple of my sets.  They feel really powerful but I would need to start lighter and work my way up (I instinctively did not put on much weight as I was trying it out and not sure of what I was doing), as it would take some time to learn it "atomically," and I am a slow learner in terms of lifting.  I may do it one of these days. 

Luis S.

Like you, I love breakfast food too, at night.  If you want to look at fasting and stubborn body fat check out:http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.htmlNo, I don't do eat anything pre-workout,not even coconut oil. BUT I will have 10 g BCAAs at the start of and during ( I am still studying Kiefer's protocol on pre and intra workout nutrition, and have recently incorporated the PWO formula, but since I don't have energy problems during the workout, I am not in a hurry, one step at a time, I also switched to USP Labs BCAAs after reading Naomi's comment on the higher leucine ratio ).  I used to do three HIIT sessions before, on days off, but really, the return for investment on the time spent, and the drain on the Central Nervous System was not worth it. I cut it down to one and there is still no difference in capacity from when I would do three. I don't do it to burn calories or get leaner, but rather to condition my cardiac/aerobic capacity. I know, doing heavy weights does that as well, BUT, I don't have a Polaris chest strap while lifting (gets in the way) and while doing HIIT I can concentrate on my cardio/aerobic capacity alone and measure, whereas, while lifting, I am concentrating on strength and form. I DID try taking in a tablespoon of coconut oil with coffee prior to the last time I did HIIT and I noticed that I started sweating and really getting hot under the skin at the end of the warm up, before I even do the first surge whereas, before, I would only start doing that after the first surge. I only consciously match fats with proteins on low carb days.  During carb backloading, I pay attention to carbs and my maximum protein and not much on fat, other than making sure I get the Omega 3 supplementation. Though I would say that my fat consumption goes way down in proportion during backloading days.  I am still learning.  It would be frustrating for me to be in your situation.  I am known for asking the waiter to modify any food I order at restaurants.  It's a sideshow for my friends. I would make friends with the kitchen staff at your station and maybe volunteer to help behind the counter and in the kitchen to see more of their process in food preparation.  Theeeeeen slowly, I would let them know about my training and what I am attempting to do and usually they would get on board with me and before I know it they would customize the food.  But, those are in way different situations from, when I am on an extended consulting trip during summers. I read somewhere that its about 10 lbs per inch so at 5'11" you could be easily 230 pounds, lean and jacked.  I would also try Kiefer's workout protocols if I don't already have a trainer who understands I need to do heavy weight workouts.  In fact, I tried out the "style" in which Kiefer described how to do reps in a couple of my sets.  They feel really powerful but I would need to start lighter and work my way up (I instinctively did not put on much weight as I was trying it out and not sure of what I was doing), as it would take some time to learn it "atomically," and I am a slow learner in terms of lifting.  I may do it one of these days.

Your learning progrress > My learning progress  😮 lol. You have some great info man! What is your view on fasting till workout on CNS ive noticed that i usually go between 4-5 hours after i wake up till hunger overpowers me and i have my first meal. So far ive noticed that works great, but i want that extra edge. Have you experimented with that?

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Your learning progrress > My learning progress  😮 lol. You have some great info man! What is your view on fasting till workout on CNS ive noticed that i usually go between 4-5 hours after i wake up till hunger overpowers me and i have my first meal. So far ive noticed that works great, but i want that extra edge. Have you experimented with that?

Hey Luis, 🙂 I don't know how else to say this but hunger is not really an issue for me during the day. I have quite a busy job. Sometimes someone will be eating in close proximity and I smell the delicious food or I will go to Starbucks for my dark roast coffee, and I see the attractive food displays and the thought of eating crosses my mind.  But then two things happen. I do a body, factual check, am I weak as in I can't function further without food? Am I really hungry or are the visual and olfactory stimulation triggering it?  The body check turns out negative and the "hunger" passes when I think of something else or leave the store. From experience, if I eat then, I will feel lousy.  That's when I feel sleepy and bloated AND hungrier than when I started. So I am kind of in a rut.  I really enjoy not eating during the day as I find that it gets in the way and at night, I FEAST. After the workouts I am not usually hungry BUT the thought of eating becomes pleasurable.  So no, I haven't tried the eating only protein and fats before workouts as that would put an added "task" to my day and really, I feel fine throughout my workouts without it.  BUT come summer, when I'm off I may try it for a day or so.  Right now, it is just not that important. 

Luis S.

Hey Luis, 🙂 I don't know how else to say this but hunger is not really an issue for me during the day. I have quite a busy job. Sometimes someone will be eating in close proximity and I smell the delicious food or I will go to Starbucks for my dark roast coffee, and I see the attractive food displays and the thought of eating crosses my mind.  But then two things happen. I do a body, factual check, am I weak as in I can't function further without food? Am I really hungry or are the visual and olfactory stimulation triggering it?  The body check turns out negative and the "hunger" passes when I think of something else or leave the store. From experience, if I eat then, I will feel lousy.  That's when I feel sleepy and bloated AND hungrier than when I started. So I am kind of in a rut.  I really enjoy not eating during the day as I find that it gets in the way and at night, I FEAST. After the workouts I am not usually hungry BUT the thought of eating becomes pleasurable.  So no, I haven't tried the eating only protein and fats before workouts as that would put an added "task" to my day and really, I feel fine throughout my workouts without it.  BUT come summer, when I'm off I may try it for a day or so.  Right now, it is just not that important. 

Im going to suck it up and give fasting a try! So far my plan is fasting till workout with the exception of the AM accelerator shake, and the day following my carb nite i will fast the whole day. Going to see how it goes.

Newfiedan
    Participant

Just remember to listen to your body, IF works but in theory its not much different than cutting cals, so yes you will see results, but gauge it accordingly to prevent muscle loss.

Luis S.

Just remember to listen to your body, IF works but in theory its not much different than cutting cals, so yes you will see results, but gauge it accordingly to prevent muscle loss.

Yeah only real day i will be fasting is after a carb nite, other days i will just be pushing meal times till after i wrk out

Richard Schmitt

Like you, I love breakfast food too, at night.  If you want to look at fasting and stubborn body fat check out:http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.htmlNo, I don't do eat anything pre-workout,not even coconut oil. BUT I will have 10 g BCAAs at the start of and during ( I am still studying Kiefer's protocol on pre and intra workout nutrition, and have recently incorporated the PWO formula, but since I don't have energy problems during the workout, I am not in a hurry, one step at a time, I also switched to USP Labs BCAAs after reading Naomi's comment on the higher leucine ratio ).  I used to do three HIIT sessions before, on days off, but really, the return for investment on the time spent, and the drain on the Central Nervous System was not worth it. I cut it down to one and there is still no difference in capacity from when I would do three. I don't do it to burn calories or get leaner, but rather to condition my cardiac/aerobic capacity. I know, doing heavy weights does that as well, BUT, I don't have a Polaris chest strap while lifting (gets in the way) and while doing HIIT I can concentrate on my cardio/aerobic capacity alone and measure, whereas, while lifting, I am concentrating on strength and form. I DID try taking in a tablespoon of coconut oil with coffee prior to the last time I did HIIT and I noticed that I started sweating and really getting hot under the skin at the end of the warm up, before I even do the first surge whereas, before, I would only start doing that after the first surge. I only consciously match fats with proteins on low carb days.  During carb backloading, I pay attention to carbs and my maximum protein and not much on fat, other than making sure I get the Omega 3 supplementation. Though I would say that my fat consumption goes way down in proportion during backloading days.  I am still learning.  It would be frustrating for me to be in your situation.  I am known for asking the waiter to modify any food I order at restaurants.  It's a sideshow for my friends. I would make friends with the kitchen staff at your station and maybe volunteer to help behind the counter and in the kitchen to see more of their process in food preparation.  Theeeeeen slowly, I would let them know about my training and what I am attempting to do and usually they would get on board with me and before I know it they would customize the food.  But, those are in way different situations from, when I am on an extended consulting trip during summers. I read somewhere that its about 10 lbs per inch so at 5'11" you could be easily 230 pounds, lean and jacked.  I would also try Kiefer's workout protocols if I don't already have a trainer who understands I need to do heavy weight workouts.  In fact, I tried out the "style" in which Kiefer described how to do reps in a couple of my sets.  They feel really powerful but I would need to start lighter and work my way up (I instinctively did not put on much weight as I was trying it out and not sure of what I was doing), as it would take some time to learn it "atomically," and I am a slow learner in terms of lifting.  I may do it one of these days.

I have read that article from his site, and yeah it is something that will take forever and a day for me to lose or fix. Thus why I'm determined to lose that little bit...I did HIIT 3-4 times a week, and finding out that yeah it's hurting my recovery time, and hurting my central nervous system. So it has been cut back to just 2 times a day. The only BCAAs I take is pure leucine, that's with my PWO Shake. I don't have a problem in fasting for the most part of the day, just enjoy food too much to completely give it up, then again I only get about 2 meals in a day. Crazy thing is though, when I backload that is ususally the biggest meal of the day...oh it is frustating because counting the actual foods is really difficult, because I'm not sure who or what is being used, or exactly how much is being used. I wish I could go back in the kitchen and "help" out with the foods and see what's being used, and fix up meals that will be ok for what I'm doing. Just not allowed to here. I'm sure if I get access to a gym when I get home, PLUS the benefit of cooking/baking my own meals, I'll be having a better results. But I'm working with what I have. Haha 230lbs at 5'11", jacked and lean, that would be badass. Now if I can accomplish that at my height of 6'0" leaned out and have that chiesled weight of 185lbs, I'd be happy, real happy. I'm still learning with everything, lifting, nutrition, CBL, etc...being a young novice in this crowd of awesome experienced lifters and nutritionist, is really a privelage to me because I get to learn on a daily bases. I did however find that lifting heavy with a moderate-high reps works for me. Just again want to get that chiesled weight.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

I am quite a proponent of listening to your body.  However, IF, at least the one I referred BigTex to, is VERY MUCH different from cutting calories.  They don't have anything to do with the other.  I wonder where you got that idea.  IF does NOT by itself induce muscle loss. It may not promote muscle gain, per se, other than perhaps with adding muscle to those just starting out with heavy weights (relatively) on a lighter frame as they go up in strength, or to those whose strength naturally go up on IF and get a concomitant relative increase in lean mass percentage as they lose more fat. IF produces many health benefits.  IF is not incompatible with CBL.  In fact, if I may quote Keifer from his CBL book: "Carb Back-Loading is IF, evolved" (p.220).

Kris1501

I agree….IF has pretty much no correlation with cutting calories. CBL is clearly a modified and (in my opinion) improved take on the concepts of IF…

Newfiedan
    Participant

If done correctly I agree, but I know some ppl who fast days at a time trying to lean out and that is no different than cutting cals as over time you are eating less calories. I do not eat from the time I wake up (5am) until noon now and it works well so far, the only thing I take in in that time is coffee and a coconut oil with a splash of 2% milk in my morning coffee and 1 coffee at 10am with some whipping cream. Thus far it seems to be working out pretty decent. Energy is good for sure. I am not saying that it is not without its health benefits. If you are eating those cals later in the day then that is fine. I just do not like the idea of not eating for a 24 hour period (personal preference)

Luis S.

If done correctly I agree, but I know some ppl who fast days at a time trying to lean out and that is no different than cutting cals as over time you are eating less calories. I do not eat from the time I wake up (5am) until noon now and it works well so far, the only thing I take in in that time is coffee and a coconut oil with a splash of 2% milk in my morning coffee and 1 coffee at 10am with some whipping cream. Thus far it seems to be working out pretty decent. Energy is good for sure. I am not saying that it is not without its health benefits. If you are eating those cals later in the day then that is fine. I just do not like the idea of not eating for a 24 hour period (personal preference)

Perfectly understandable, my friend. But hey, what's life without some risks!  😉 Im going to give it a try and put my progress in my log, along with some pictures.

Naomi Most

Just to quickly address the whole Intermittent Fasting conversation in this thread:IF doesn't "induce" muscle loss, but it also doesn't prevent it.  Many people do lose muscle while fasting for 12+ hours.Doing CBL, you are effectively getting all of the benefits of fasting with none of the potential muscle loss, BECAUSE, it turns out, the body's hormonal profile while eating fat and protein with zero carbs is IDENTICAL to the hormonal profile of fasting.This is the topic of a very soon to be released blog post on DH.com (by Kiefer of course).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

anyone under 10% bf????

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?