creatine

• This topic has 24 voices and 61 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Kaprice

For every 1g of creatine you store in the body, you also store 4g of water. So if you're supersaturated with creatine, you're going to be carrying some extra water. That's just an advantage if you're trying to gain muscle.

Does that help avoiding dehydration, then?

zewski

Nice! I was just curious, since I'm probably too fat at the moment to even notice water retention  ;D

Kaprice

Perfect! Thanks!A great free online source for that is: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/I never noticed that they include nutrition labels. DOH! Avacado:Total Carbohydrate 17.15g 6%  Dietary Fiber 13.5g 54%So, I'd only count 3.65g carbs per avacado. Nice!

nickl413

I think I've been getting bloated with creatine also.  What makes krealkalyn a good choice?

No bloating mainly.  Also no loading is needed and you take smaller doses for the same performance results (extra rep or two.)  Is it safe for long term usage and does it block myostatin?  I don't know.  I'm not bothered by the bloating so I'm just taking monohydrate for now.

T9P1

I'm having an argument with an friend about creatine. He says its unhealthy and his main argument is  that there is  something in creatine which cannot be removed by the body.is here anybody who knows a few good (objective) studies or can tell me more about what my friend meant and if this could be true. I really want to know how safe creatine is before I buy it!

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

If you're over 27 years old, creatine also improves your cognitive function. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ffemtmcd

guess I'll find out – lol

nickl413

I'm having an argument with an friend about creatine. He says its unhealthy and his main argument is  that there is  something in creatine which cannot be removed by the body.is here anybody who knows a few good (objective) studies or can tell me more about what my friend meant and if this could be true. I really want to know how safe creatine is before I buy it!

The only thing in creatine is.....creatine.  What could he possibly be talking about?  Are you guys looking at straight monohydrate or is it a pre-made drink mix?

Cropsy

Conrad, I'm curious where you saw that info re: Creatine / cognitive function?I found a study (linked below) that makes out that it's a little more complicated than that -- they found that 6 weeks of supplementation did not enhance cognitive processing in rested individuals, but surmised that creatine supplementation may only be effective for people with (A) low basal levels of brain creatine to begin with, or (B) suffering temporary cognitive impairment...This study was from 2008 and the dose was only 2.2g creatine per day, so maybe you saw a more recent one...?http://www.gwern.net/docs/2008-rawson.pdf

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Conrad, I'm curious where you saw that info re: Creatine / cognitive function?I found a study (linked below) that makes out that it's a little more complicated than that -- they found that 6 weeks of supplementation did not enhance cognitive processing in rested individuals, but surmised that creatine supplementation may only be effective for people with (A) low basal levels of brain creatine to begin with, or (B) suffering temporary cognitive impairment...This study was from 2008 and the dose was only 2.2g creatine per day, so maybe you saw a more recent one...?http://www.gwern.net/docs/2008-rawson.pdf

funny how things sync.  Hours after I posted that one, I heard Kiefer say on Biojacked radio Q&a #2 part 1 (as a podcast two weeks later) that creatine also improves cognitive function.  He didn't say anything about age though.  I have it somewhere Cropsy.  I just cleaned out my computer to make room for new stuff and I will have to go into my timeline to search for it. May take a while.

AdamFiddler

Robb Wolf covered the topic of “too much creatine being bad for your kidneys” in a podcast a long time ago that I listened to.  The common argument behind creatine being "dangerous" is that it will lead to higher levels of creatinine.  Creatinine is commonly seen at high levels in people who have kidney dysfunction but it appears to be a symptom not a cause of the dysfunction, and when the levels of creatinine are raised as a product of increased creatine intake, this does not appear to be a problem according to him.  Seems a bit similar to heart disease and cholesterol I suppose.-Adam

ChetSteadman
    Participant

So I'm posting my question to the following post/thread, here. Seems more appropriate.http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forum/index.php?topic=739.msg7199#msg7199

I heard (literally through a you tube video) that creatine needs to be fully dissolved before ingestion, so that it can be absorbed by the body (as opposed to ingesting powder particles) something that is not easy to do even with monohydrate.  I do that by mixing in very hot water first before adding to my shake.  Any input from anyone else?

I have just started taking monohydrate powder by itself for the first time. I had taken creatine as part of protein powder, as well as in cap form previously so I never had to mix it by itself. I'm noticing it does not dissolve easily and find myself getting a gritty, "sand in my mouth", type feeling after drinking it. From the linked post it seems like that's normal for monohydrate powder. However, it's also stated that it needs to be fully dissolved to be as effective as it could be. Can anybody comment on this statement? Or have any advice on mixing it? The poster says mix in hot water. Anybody else do this?

The only thing in creatine is.....creatine.  What could he possibly be talking about?  Are you guys looking at straight monohydrate or is it a pre-made drink mix?

Like "Dat Dere Cell-Tech"?

nickl413

I've actually heard/read the opposite.  The longer it sits in water, the more is converted to the unusable form ceatinine.  Best to mix and down it quickly.  I would think hot water would only exacerbate that effect.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Monohydrate isn't really water soluble.  Creatine HCl is though.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

creatine

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?