Progress

• This topic has 4 voices and 71 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author

thezukiman
    Participant

Hey zukiman, first off, excellent progress.  Those are strong numbers.  I had two questions for you:1)Did you find that you lost strength on CNS?(and if not, how did you keep it lol)-I'm currently on CNS, but have a hard time keeping my strength, and I'm nowhere near where you are.2)What kind of rate of weight gain did you see on SA while gaining mass but staying lean?

Thanks tzanghi.Answers based on my experience:1.) I didn't do CNS exactly, but the diet I followed was very close (I didn't know about Kiefer back then). I also wasn't doing SW I was engaged in a very intense circuit workout where you never stopped moving. (Ex. You would do a push press, then for the break between sets you do BW squats). I also was doing some HIIT on my off days. I lost a good deal of strength, but honestly looking back I didn't have to lose as much. Losing some strength is inevitable when weight loss, body recomp is your main goal; however if you are really concerned about it I do not see why you couldn't up your pre-trianing fats a bit. As long as you stay under 1g per lb. bw for the day. In my experience the days I felt weaker were days I had less fats (my individual experience here).2.) The gains were slow, but very,very steady and reliable. I would say about 2-3lbs a month. I feel slow and steady is much better than a drastic change. I feel much more in control of my weight gain now and feel it is quality muscle instead of some muscle and a lot of fat.  😉Hope that helps.-Z

Excellent, thanks, Z, I appreciate it a lot.  It seems like those who gain <1 lb per week put on no fat; I'll probably aim in that region once I achieve a desired level of BF.  Do you power lift?  Those numbers would be competitive in the 181 division in a lot of places.

No problem, good luck!Yes, powerlifter first, bodybuilder second!lol! and thanks I like to think of my self as a power bodybuilder. 8)

thezukiman
    Participant

Wow looks like some of the advice I gave you worked 😉 jk man great journey and your jacked now man! I had a similar journey went from 5'6 218 pounds of useless, to a skinny but shredded 6'0 165 at 7% in a year. What do you weigh now?

Mikehr, the advice you gave was golden  😉Nice job on the recomp!I am currently at 173-174.-Z

Glad it worked man you look awesome! Thanks, had a bit of rough patch for a month but I am finally eating carbs daily slowly working the numbers up and hopefull push 200lbs by some time in summer.

Definitely, thanks again.Good luck w/ hitting 200. Post up some pics when you reach ur goal man.-Z

ipcheck

1 pack here too. You have to have 1 before you get to 6,8,or 10. Lol

I once had a six pack,            of brownies at work and man did I take care of them.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ha...I get it ::) lol. Brownies sound nice after my leg workout today...tried something new straight from a Tom Platz workout. Also kept my 5/3/1 base at the beginning. Check it out:275 x 3315 x 3355 x 3205 x 30 - This is the Platz style stuff!205 x 30 - I thought my heart was gonna burst no lie, had some chest pain from the thing racing so much. Then when I racked it I started wheezing!lol! I love squats...and hate them!lol!Leg Press 2x20-30 (270lbs)Hack Squats 2x15-20 (180lbs) - heels together toes pointed out.I did post exhaust with Leg Extensions 4 x 20-30 (60lbs)Romanian Deadlifts 2 x 10-12 ( I used 135) and on a bench for an extra stretchRack Deadlifts 2 x 15-20 (225 pyramiding up to 315)I did post exhaust with Leg Curls 4 x 10-12 (140-180lbs.)Donkey Calf Raises 3 x 10-20 (2 to 4 plates) also coupled these with burnouts - bodyweight.I just wanna down some carns and sleep!lol! 😉Whatca Beasts think?

The wendler stuff is very good.I have a friend who started lifting weights on 5/3/1Noob on 5/3/1 go figure... anyhow he is a beast not, way stronger than me and bigger than me thanks to his wallet and many cycles of GH.... he is addicted to strength and size, I don't blame him.Workout looks solid.I do like the 5/3/1 stuff but I'm in for more volume.I would squat for more reps and sets, even if its 225lbs x 10 x 10The leg press, and all the others aren't really necessary if you know what I mean.I am a fan of the HACK Squat post squatting, I load this bitch up with plates and let it drop all the way to the floor, then explode up. I keep adding weights and push to failure, great just great.I do Deadlift and Squat same day, but one AM and the other PMI can't concentrate my blood on my lower back right after I finished working my legs, feels wrong and weird.Rather slam legs AM, then by PM destroy lower back (plus all other sub groups).

Mikehr

I once had a six pack,            of brownies at work and man did I take care of them.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ha...I get it ::) lol. Brownies sound nice after my leg workout today...tried something new straight from a Tom Platz workout. Also kept my 5/3/1 base at the beginning. Check it out:275 x 3315 x 3355 x 3205 x 30 - This is the Platz style stuff!205 x 30 - I thought my heart was gonna burst no lie, had some chest pain from the thing racing so much. Then when I racked it I started wheezing!lol! I love squats...and hate them!lol!Leg Press 2x20-30 (270lbs)Hack Squats 2x15-20 (180lbs) - heels together toes pointed out.I did post exhaust with Leg Extensions 4 x 20-30 (60lbs)Romanian Deadlifts 2 x 10-12 ( I used 135) and on a bench for an extra stretchRack Deadlifts 2 x 15-20 (225 pyramiding up to 315)I did post exhaust with Leg Curls 4 x 10-12 (140-180lbs.)Donkey Calf Raises 3 x 10-20 (2 to 4 plates) also coupled these with burnouts - bodyweight.I just wanna down some carns and sleep!lol! 😉Whatca Beasts think?

Holy fuck thats legit man, I love workouts like those. I had a good one on friday 14 sets of deads, 12 sets back squats and 6 sets front squats with a 50 rep widow make on leg press after

thezukiman
    Participant

The wendler stuff is very good.I have a friend who started lifting weights on 5/3/1Noob on 5/3/1 go figure... anyhow he is a beast not, way stronger than me and bigger than me thanks to his wallet and many cycles of GH.... he is addicted to strength and size, I don't blame him.Workout looks solid.I do like the 5/3/1 stuff but I'm in for more volume.I would squat for more reps and sets, even if its 225lbs x 10 x 10The leg press, and all the others aren't really necessary if you know what I mean.I am a fan of the HACK Squat post squatting, I load this bitch up with plates and let it drop all the way to the floor, then explode up. I keep adding weights and push to failure, great just great.I do Deadlift and Squat same day, but one AM and the other PMI can't concentrate my blood on my lower back right after I finished working my legs, feels wrong and weird.Rather slam legs AM, then by PM destroy lower back (plus all other sub groups).

Yeah I like to stick to squats for my legs mostly in any form. After two 30 rep sets I was finished on squats tho!lol!Most leg press machines send nerve pain down my leg for some reason. It's weird b/c I can load up the bar w/ as much as I can handle on squats and no pain...something about those 45 degree leg press machines tho. Plus most "bros" load up leg press machines w/ 12 pates go down an inch and never squat and if they do squat they put 405 on the bar and do knee bends!lol! 😮  Enough ranting....Anyways long stry short I went to a new gym to try it out and they had a very adjustable plate loaded machine..so I had to try it out and no nerve pain (this is rare) I couldn't pass that up! ;)They also had an awesome hack machine looked just like the old school one you see Tom Platz and the like using. I deadlifted heavy earlier in the week 5/3/1 style, but decided to hit Rack Pulls today for my hammies. I read an "Inside the Muscles" article (Bret Contreras) and according to his EMG studies Rack Pulls (or normal Deads) are one of the best hammie hitters. I would get done with them and go right to the Leg Curls . I have trouble feeling my hams sometimes (low back takes too much of the load sometimes) so I did these to hit exactly what I wanted, hard.

thezukiman
    Participant

Holy fuck thats legit man, I love workouts like those. I had a good one on friday 14 sets of deads, 12 sets back squats and 6 sets front squats with a 50 rep widow make on leg press after

That is some beastly volume work sir! 8)I love planning my workouts to destroy those muscles, then I end up adding (or subtracting) more stuff as I feel necessary in the gym.Widow makers are terrific!  😉

Mikehr

Couldn't agree more man, legs can take a beating so why not give them a beating

2drafael

Wow awesome progress man. Let me ask you something, when you were 160 and started CBL, how much carbs did you have at the backloads? I look just like you did in that picture and wheight about the same. Plus, I'm 6 ft tall. Yeah, my last "cutting" made me very skinny.Keep up the good work!

thezukiman
    Participant

Wow awesome progress man. Let me ask you something, when you were 160 and started CBL, how much carbs did you have at the backloads? I look just like you did in that picture and wheight about the same. Plus, I'm 6 ft tall. Yeah, my last "cutting" made me very skinny.Keep up the good work!

Thanks 2drafael. To answer your question, when I first started I was only Backloading on training days 3 to 4 times a week. I started out with the prep-phase and when I began backloading I was very conservative at 150g. I  quickly upped that to 200 at 160 b/c I was feeling weak in the gym and was still starving on Back Load nights.This info from "sckiely" really helped me nail down my carb number:I would suggest more carbs and protein. Push the protein out to 1.3g/lb bw and then push the carbs up. If you used the delta chart from the book this could give you some numbers to hit for the week.For example if the delta chart had your carb numbers at 600g then I would have you times this by 2.5 to start with on DB and split those carbs up through the week. So that would be 1500g of carbs. The bulk of these Would be on training days and the rest on off days.Here was my response (mind you I was at 170 when I got this advice):Sckiely it's funny you used 600 for your example b/c my number is actually 659 (as I lost around 7.25lbs. during the prep phase). So, if I times that by 2.5 I get 1,647.5 for the week. As of now I do 300g carbs 4 times a week and 150g the other three times. If you add all of that up (and do some multiplication), I am at 1,650 for the week. That's really close to your recommendation for me just "eyeballing" it. That's kind of uncanny.Hope that helps.-Z

ipcheck

You need to eat just about boxes and bags of things. Like two large pizzas, 1 gallon of ice cream, uhm 12 donuts, 6 baked potatoes, 4 stakes....6 ft tall, you need to eat you.

thezukiman
    Participant

You need to eat just about boxes and bags of things. Like two large pizzas, 1 gallon of ice cream, uhm 12 donuts, 6 baked potatoes, 4 stakes....6 ft tall, you need to eat you.

Ha.Yeah taller guys do have some trouble gaining noticeable mass. They can gain, buts it's often much harder to see on their long limbs.-Z

thezukiman
    Participant

Ha.Yeah taller guys do have some trouble gaining noticeable mass. They can gain, buts it's often much harder to see on their long limbs.-Z

To follow up tall guys can gain plenty lbs. of noticeable mass.... Heck I'm 5' 11", so not too far behind but like ipcheck is saying u gotta eat. I would start on the lower end and move up each week until you start seeing negative effects (waking up soft and fat). Then just dual it back to last weeks number and your golden.

ipcheck

Well, that method works, it also depends if his lifts are pussy lifts or man stuff.I repeat, you must be drenched in sweat, swollen, hurting, crying, as you lift.

Tomahawk

Glad I followed this thread. This thread plus reading John Meadows has convinced me to DESTROY my legs. If you are not crawling out of the gym after leg day on CBL something might be wrong haha. Might need to bring my own bucket haha.

thezukiman
    Participant

Glad I followed this thread. This thread plus reading John Meadows has convinced me to DESTROY my legs. If you are not crawling out of the gym after leg day on CBL something might be wrong haha. Might need to bring my own bucket haha.

My motto is when your shirt looks as if you have just went swimming in it, you have difficultly squatting down to tie your shoe (getting back up should be almost impossible) and stairs suddenly become menacing...then you did it right. Lol. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Progress

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?